CoinPeople.com

Tauric Silver 5K on ebay

squirrel

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder what a genuine example in similar condition would bring in a real auction. :ninja:

My guess is that it would be substantially more than 904 Euros.

A 1787 20K (considerably less rare) sold for $6,500 in Monety i Medali Sale #36 (April 2006). With rarity and price inflation a 5K is going to be at least $10,000, and probably a lot more if nice.

Steve

What!?!

Over 6K for a 20K of 1787. :ninja:

Okay, I am prepared to start a trade for mine.

;)

I need a 2 Rouble 1766 Gold, a couple of Grosh, a 1654 Copper Poltinnik, a copper rouble (any edge) a silver one kopek of Peter I (not the wire stuff), a three kopeck of copper with the "masonic" eagle, sun Rouble, 1804 gold 5 rouble and any number of other rarities.

Exchange location to be named later.... ;)

When I was trying to work on this series, I had no problem finding 20 kopeks and a great difficulty finding 10 kopeks. 5 and 2 I never had an opportunity to even bid on. Of course I am talking about western auctions. Russian auctions had the full set a few times. :ninja:

• 1 month later...
It is a super rare coin. So Ebay would not be a place for it anyway.

I am amazed by the amounts paid for Tauric silver 20 kopeks at the auctions lately - around $10,000 for a nice specimen.

20 kopeks in Kunker sale sold for 6500 euro plus juice. :ninja:

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know how many of the series were made?

I read that there were 34 people in attendance at lunch before heading to the mint where it is believed the sets were given out as gifts. The 20 K, being much more common can be assumed to have been given to everyone in attendance and possibly more due to the few that do show up exhibiting pocket wear.

How many 10, 5 and 2 k's have shown up, ever?

Thanks!

Does anyone know how many of the series were made?

I read that there were 34 people in attendance at lunch before heading to the mint where it is believed the sets were given out as gifts. The 20 K, being much more common can be assumed to have been given to everyone in attendance and possibly more due to the few that do show up exhibiting pocket wear.

How many 10, 5 and 2 k's have shown up, ever?

Thanks!

Welcome to coinpeople, LostOne117!

There is a major reference on your question:

Uzdenikov V V Russian coins. Essays on numismatic. Moscow, 2004. Tauric coins. Pp 454-462.

Mintage unknown...most known 20 kop pieces have traces of being in circulation... :ninja:

Welcome to coinpeople, LostOne117!

There is a major reference on your question:

Uzdenikov V V Russian coins. Essays on numismatic. Moscow, 2004. Taurius coins. Pp 454-462.

Mintage unknown...most known 20 kop pieces have traces of being in circulation... :ninja:

Thank you for the welcome!

I know a lot about them already, what I don't know is how many are outstanding.

Surely with such a low mintage, people could keep count of these just by images?

How many have come up for sale of each? When is the last time a 2 or 10 sold?

Thanks again!

Thank you for the welcome!

I know a lot about them already, what I don't know is how many are outstanding.

Surely with such a low mintage, people could keep count of these just by images?

How many have come up for sale of each? When is the last time a 2 or 10 sold?

Thanks again!

Here is a link to the most recent 10 kopeks sales, but at least one coin there looks fake:

http://m-dv.ru/catalog/id,4196/all-prohod.html

In addition there was 10 sold in 1968 Soderman and 1991 Goodman auctions.

Then there was also 10 kopeks sold at the Baldwin's auction of the Hermes collection in 1997, which later was sold in one of the Markov's auctions.

I do not think there were any 2's sold in this century.

A full set was offered in one of the early (in the 90th) MiM auctions in Moscow.

IMHO, that's about it. Now you have to go back to 1932 and then further back to 1910 to see them again.

Could you share your sources of information on this series?

What sparked your interest?

Could you share your sources of information on this series?

What sparked your interest?

Wow; Thanks so much for your help!

I was mistaken in saying that there were 34 in attendance at the luncheon that day, it was actually reported at being 37 (per Uzdenikov).

I have been looking at the numbers for this mint (among other things) and find it fascinating that the mint was only in operation from Saturday the 26th of May 1787 to Thursday the 17th of April 1788 (327 days total) with Catherine the Great's visit on May 28th 1787.

My interest was sparked when I began to realize that I was finding it very difficult to locate information on these coins.

I too could not find any info in my Krause World Catalog until one day I realized (by accident) that they were not under Russia, they were under Crimea, a place I had never heard of.

I am studying the Mintmarks and would like to get high-quality images of the other coins made at TM.

Thanks!

I found more info here

http://zvon-monet.ru/luggage_knowledge/art...ELEMENT_ID=2938

Wow; Thanks so much for your help!

I was mistaken in saying that there were 34 in attendance at the luncheon that day, it was actually reported at being 37 (per Uzdenikov).

I have been looking at the numbers for this mint (among other things) and find it fascinating that the mint was only in operation from Saturday the 26th of May 1787 to Thursday the 17th of April 1788 (327 days total) with Catherine the Great's visit on May 28th 1787.

My interest was sparked when I began to realize that I was finding it very difficult to locate information on these coins.

I had bought them at the Portland ANA show as either Jettons, Fakes or Fantasies, as the dealer had just purchased them in a large lot and could not find any info about them either.

I bought the 20k, 10k and 2k that day for $30.

I too could not find any info in my Krause World Catalog until one day I realized (by accident) that they were not under Russia, they were under Crimea, a place I had never heard of.

I am studying the Mintmarks and would like to get high-quality images of the other coins made at TM. I will trade you images of my coins for yours.

I would like to add that I am a Numismatist and have been for almost 30 years, I know that these are not fakes and have done specific gravity tests on each allong with studying under microscope.

Thanks!

I found more info here

http://zvon-monet.ru/luggage_knowledge/art...ELEMENT_ID=2938

very interesting...

Would you care to share the images of you coins with us?

I bought the 20k, 10k and 2k that day for $30.

WOW, $30 bucks ?? I bet they are not genuine (if they are - you are a winner of top price car),

cannot wait for its pictures :ninja:

2 Kopeck Mintmark, Hand engraved

10 Kopeck Mintmark, Punched in

20 Kopeck Mintmark, Punched in then enlarged by hand-engraving.

10 Kopeck Obverse design punch, the same as the Mintmark punch!

20 Kopeck Obverse design punch, the same as the Mintmark punch!

von Vinkler has a long publication on Tauric coinage - Tauric coinage 1783-1788, 120 printed, St.Petersburg, 1899;

just looked into his article and noticed that - he is antisemite as many others including GM;

can you show picrture of your coins so i can make my own opinion (i am not in need of educational proposals) :ninja:

Archived