CoinPeople.com

1909-S VDB Fake?

Jeff Turkstra

Hi, I'm new to the forum and recently had my 1909-S VDB "appraised." The coin shop that I took it to said that it was a fake. Looking over the sites showing various genuine and fake versions of the coin, I'm not sure whether or not it's real myself. I was hoping to gather some other people's opinions on the matter.

I've included pictures of the date and VDB mark. If it would help to see the entire coin, I have pictures here:

Obverse

Reverse

1909svdb.jpg

1909svdb2.jpg

Any responses are greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

- Jeff

Notice that the colouring around the wrong shaped(too much serif on the upper portion) S is different than the colouring surrounding the numerals in the date, a giveaway that the S might have even been carefully glued on there. A much bigger image of the S would help though.

Hi jeff...that S has been added to a regular VDB. The shape of the B in VDB is wrong for an S VDB as well as the shape of the mintmark... unfortunately its no good

Matt

Yeah. I thought it looked added to

the VDB is a dead give away... on the S VDB the center bar in the B is at about a 45 degree angle on the regular one it is horizontal... I have a real one at the shop Ill shoot a pic of this morning.

This poor guy has to be sick to his stomach now :ninja: I hope he didn't pay a fortune for this.

this is what an original should look like.

6s68u2x.jpg

I'll give you a role of unsearched wheats for that, you never know, you might find another!

Archived