CoinPeople.com
sandy3075

Some BWA and Southern Rhodesia now posted

Over the last few weeks I was able to scan and post some of my British West Africa and Southern Rodesia coins at OMNICOIN. Just follow the link http://www.omnicoin.com/user_view.aspx?id=sandy3075 and sort by country. Also include the very first installment of my Jersey collection - early 1/26'th of a shilling (the rest to follow) and some of the Palestine and Israeli coins.

Oh, and the top 6 BWA coins are the ones I got in the mail yesterday. A great birthday present I'd say, most in mint or near mint condition. 1913H 2 shillings, 1914H shilling, 1914H 6 pence, 1914H 3 pence, 1913H 1/10 penny and a bit dirty and corroded but still shiny 1907 1/10 penny.

I have to agree. Your collection is wonderful. Wish I had a bunch of your coins.

Some very nice examples of pieces that you don't see often at all!

the shillings are nice looking coins,

i'll show some of mine then

my BWA collection is made up of 2 coins.

976212.jpg

1936 H Edward VIII AUNC

963201.jpg

1947 KN penny

rhodesia

974348.jpg

1957 halfpenny

968763.jpg

1939 6D... EF grade, toned and rather scarse (200k mintage?)

968507.jpg

1962 3D

yeah thats my lot

Here's a 1936 British West Africa Penny in aUnc - smal wear on the high point of the crown

1936 Penny

1936BritWestAfricaPenny.jpg

1936BritWestAfricaPennyRev.jpg

Lustre doesn't show up on the scan

Here's a 1940 British West Africa Penny in Unc

1940 Penny

1940BritishWestAfrica1Dobv.jpg

1940BritishWestAfrica1Drev.jpg

Lustre shows up a bit better on this scan

Here's a 1947 KN British West Africa Penny in Unc

1947 Penny

1947KNBritWestAfricaPennyObv.jpg

1947KNBritWestAfricaPennyRev1.jpg

Here's a 1936 British West Africa Penny in aUnc - smal wear on the high point of the crown

It may not be wear on the coin but worn off dies or not enough pressure applied to the them on this 1936 H penny resulting in flat crown appearance. Typically one would see complementary wear also on the bands (please help me with the term :ninja: ) that surround the center hole on obverse, but it can only be seen at close inspection if there is any or not and if the flat appearance of the crown is from wear or weakened strike. Generally though the crown is a very good indication of the coins preservation status together with the observation of the bars making up a star on reverse, in part because they overlap each other creating raised surfaces. Yours does have a pretty deep cut :-( but not muh wear can be seen.

Thanks for sharing ;). 1947KN and 1940 specimen are terrific.

same as my 1936 aUNC, its a weak strike more then likly, i did spot an edge knock on yours and some possible doubling

you 1947 KN is definatly better then mine though lol

I'll add 1919 Heaton minted six pence and a shilling. Both good grades, shilling is rather scarce one with the third lowest mintage of the type, good very fine.

977777.jpg

and 6 pence, very fine, possibly but not definitely cleaned

977778.jpg

Nice addition to collection - 1918 Heaton florin, I would say almost uncirculated

981061.jpg

and in the same lot I got about uncirculated 1949-H 2 shillings

981230.jpg

and a more common but nice and lustrous 1938-KN 2 shillings

981229.jpg

Latest addition, nice and a bit unusual 1907 penny. First year of the mint for the type, not terribly rare but nice even with the lamination flan defect? the scan does not relay the full laster for some reason.

986234.jpg

Not sure how I missed the earlier post, but that 1918 florin is great!

Nice! I don't think I've ever seen this type anywhere near UNC before.

i wouldn't say golden is unusual for the period, if they used the British planchets it would happen, as the currency at the time comes up with yellow lustre.

Well, we all have our experience and our opinion, but for the BWA copper nickel this is not a something I see much and I have seen quite a few of them. Also there was no British imperial copper nickel coinage of that time, it did not start until 30 years later.

Here is another BWA this time 1952 King's Norton mint nickel brass 2 shillings. Last year, lowest mintage. Nice despite imperfections. I initially confused it with toned silver (scans are pretty clear it is not) and it still can be if you look at it under certain angle so bright is the reflection.

989952.jpg