CoinPeople.com

Kingdom of Italy - 20 Lire - 1927 VI

Damiano

Italian coins from that era truly are remarkable. I am kind of partial to these:

italiya.jpg

20 Centesimi 1922, the famous "Flying Nude" coin

And this lovely from 1911:

italia50lire1911.jpg

A lovely commemorative that was issued for the 50th anniversary of the Italian Kingdom.

• 1 year later...
And this lovely from 1911:

italia50lire1911.jpg

A lovely commemorative that was issued for the 50th anniversary of the Italian Kingdom.

Great coin!

It was coined in 20.000 pieces and classified as R. It's part of the most beautiful series of Italian commemorative coins. :ninja:

• 6 months later...

Kingdom of Italy 1900-1946 is the core of my collection. Including all colonies, Eritrea, Somalia and I include Albania in my collection. King Victor Emmanuel III was a brilliant numismatist and it is very apparent that the coins, medals and tokens from that time had designs inspired by ancient Roman coinage, including bees, single stalks of wheat, chariots and horses and Roman allegory. The coins can be collected by engravers and I also have a few patterns from that time. There are books on the coins, the medals, the engravers and the patterns. There is ITALIAN COIN ENGRAVERS SINCE 1800 BY CLAIN - STEFANELLI also the pattern book, PROVA E PROGETTI BY ANTONIO PAGANI. These are my two favorite publications on the subject of Italian coins.

Kingdom of Italy 1900-1946 is the core of my collection. Including all colonies, Eritrea, Somalia and I include Albania in my collection. King Victor Emmanuel III was a brilliant numismatist and it is very apparent that the coins, medals and tokens from that time had designs inspired by ancient Roman coinage, including bees, single stalks of wheat, chariots and horses and Roman allegory. The coins can be collected by engravers and I also have a few patterns from that time. There are books on the coins, the medals, the engravers and the patterns. There is ITALIAN COIN ENGRAVERS SINCE 1800 BY CLAIN - STEFANELLI also the pattern book, PROVA E PROGETTI BY ANTONIO PAGANI. These are my two favorite publications on the subject of Italian coins.

I missed your post first time around and do hope you will come back with more info. Emmanuell was a numismatist?? No kidding. Can you tell me more about the 1911 series - were there any patterns associated with those awesome reverses?

I missed your post first time around and do hope you will come back with more info. Emmanuell was a numismatist?? No kidding. Can you tell me more about the 1911 series - were there any patterns associated with those awesome reverses?

King Vittorio Emmanuel III wrote a 20 volume series of books on Italian Coinage called CORPUS NUMMORUM ITALICORUM there is a set now selling for $6000.00, so it is rare and hard to find. It covers Italian States and Kingdom of Italy only. It does not include ancient Rome. The king was good friends with Egypt's King Farouk who also was a numismstist. Vittorio's son Umberto also collected coins and there are catalogs from the 1970's of his collection at auction. The king's collection is still in tact in Italy but not on display. As for the 1911 series, there is only the gold 50 lire, silver 5 lire, silver 2 lire and copper 10 centesime available. That obverse design is called ITALIA AND MARINARA. Marinara being the goddess of the ocean. There are no alternate designs for that series, nor are there any patterns for that series or for that year, 1911.

Archived