CoinPeople.com

2008 red book typo

numismatic nut

On page 130 in silver nickels the 1943-p in VF is worth "$100.00" wile in EF it is only $1.25 .Is this in anyone else's book?

Hi Numismatic Nut,

My Red Book has the same *error*... you don't suppose these two books are worth more than we paid for them?

I wonder if it is a difference between the hard bound and the spiral bound versions. I have the spiral bound because it is so much easier to use.

Corky

Don't know how many editors they use, but they could use someone like you who noticed the error.

A really good proof reader might do them some good.

I remember once hearing about a order of nuns who earned their living expenses by proof reading.

The thing is, in order to keep from getting caught up in the 'story' they did all their reading backwards, from the end of the book to the beginning.

I think we should have asked you 'how did you find the mistake?'... were you looking up nickels in the book, or did it just jump out at you when you were thumbing through the book?

Corky

I was given an album with coins and was looking for any ones of value. I look at war nickels and low and behold a VF regular date is $100. That dosn't seem right ( if I have it, it can't be worth anything). I look at the next grade and it says 1.25. I was shure It wasn't a grade rarety(SP?), so it was a typo.

((( if I have it, it can't be worth anything)))

Aw, come on now, I bet you have something worth a lot and just don't know it yet. :ninja:

I took two Lincolns to show to the coin dealer. He said he had not seen that variety and wanted to buy one for 5$.

I decided not to sell it. Got home and found the same coin on coppercoins.com and they said 15$ in uncirculated condition... which is what mine are. Then again, it is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

You might well have something like that and just haven't found it.

Keep thinking positive.

Corky

Well I do have a 1941 MS-65 mercury dime $30.00; and a 1955-D MS-65 wasington quarter $ 60.00 .Two cherry picks totaling Spent about $9 .

And a MS-63 1881-S morgan; paied $28, worth $50.

I did most of this at the ANA show this summer.

( One dealer says to another "did we just get cherry picked ba a 12 year old?" The other one says "I think we did!")

(((did we just get cherry picked ba a 12 year old?" The other one says "I think we did!")))

How Fun! Sounds like you got some fine deals on your coins.

I only have three Morgans right now, but will keep adding as funds are available.

Right now I am focusing (well, I am trying to focus) on the main modern US coins by getting the best complete collection I can afford. Of course, that doesn't include expensive uncirculated extremely rare coins as I feel I will, at best, be happy with uncirculated in good to very good condition.

I began with Lincolns because I found them so diverse in appearance. This lead me on to all the others, i.e., nickels, Roosevelts, Washingtons past and present, Franklins and Kennedys and Eisenhower, Mercuries, and all the others that were produced by our mints.

Later on I will get very serious about the earlier silvers and coppers. I have a few of them, but not enough to say I purposely collect them... yet.

Good luck on your searching, and I hope you cherrypick a fantastic coin!

Oh, my grand daughter is 9 1/2 now and she is getting 'sort of' interested in the coins, especially if they have horses on them.

Corky

Good deal on the proof Franklins!

If I only had 20 bucks a month to spend on coins I would go stark raving mad... well, almost.

Today I received a nice shipment of single coins and one roll of 64p bu nickels.

The singles are proofs for my albums if they meet my standards.

Like I said I am trying to focus on filling in these Danscos I have purchased, so I need uncircs as well as proof and silver proofs. It is a tall order to fill, but going quite well.

Focus... focus... focus... (then someone puts on something great for auction on CP and I get out of focus) :ninja:

Just received a nice 36 Buffalo on which I can actually read the date... and a nice 23 Merc... both I got on the CP auction site.

It sounds like you are really serious about collecting as you know a lot about coins. I am still learning something about them everyday, and I do not believe I will ever learn enough to be really good at finding gems like you did.

Corky

The proofs come from a dealer who rents space at an antique depot. On some coins he is low ball on other coins he is overpriced.

I find most of my $$ MS sleepers in junk bins. To pull off this trick I use my age as an advantage. No dealer minds a 12 year old, eaven if they have a red book in there hand. Then I take out my magnafier and quick grade the coin.Then I look at the value and decide if I want it. Most coins I take are high grade and have a price below $5.

I am working on a wheat cent/ mem cent set. Also a 20th century type set( no gold).

I like errors and pulled a few out of cirulation. Also 3 or 4 out of "unsearched" wheat cent bags.

My favorite way to get coins is at the bank. Ask your bank for kennedy halfs. I sort them and find MS-65 halfs! I buy the new dollars at face; in unc roles. My bank also has SQ folders; haveing unc P and D mint coins.

I search lots of roles from my bank. Found a 1995-D FS ( is it full strike or full steps) nickel worth $ 25 in a role. Also a bicentenial quarter worth 4 dollars, not bad for a role.

Coins are still to be found at banks! ;):ninja:;)

are still to be found at banks![/b][/u]

Hi,

As far as coins being found at banks... we live in a very small town and most of the town uses our bank.

Recently I turned in 278 rolls of Lincolns that I rejected after thorough searching. Lately I have been getting some of the same Lincolns in change around town. My bank never gets new rolls of anything except the new presidential dollars, which for some reason I do not really like.

But... today I cashed a check at my bank and got two star notes (single dollars) in my change. That really made my spirits soar!

Guess my bank isn't a total loss after all. That makes three star notes since I learned about them a couple weeks ago.

So, everyday is a learning experience and the people here at CP are great at helping you, and enjoying your finds too.

Have you posted any pictures of any of your coins on CP?

Corky

I find my best collectiable coin count coins to be nickels. I evean found a coin from singapore china!

You may want to look at the new dollars for errors. All sorts of edge lettering errors.

I have posted pictures, but I scan them in to my computer. I wonder how a scaner would do if I scaned a coin in a safe flip?I signed up for omni coin last night. I will add coins and activate my acount monday( I am away from my collection this weekend).

I wonder how a scaner would do if I scaned a coin in a safe flip?I

You might have better luck with your scanner. My scanner is a few years old... 5 or more years, a Canoscan N12220U flatbed, my first scanner. It works great for photos and documents. I put the scanned pics or coins in my Photoshop program and use that to do the zooming and cropping. I found that I had better luck with the scanner if I put a neutral gray cloth over the coin before I put the lid down. The cloth helps to cut out light that seeps under the scanner cover and gives a better quality picture.

All of this went by the wayside when my husband bought me a new camera with 4xmacro capability. It is a Canon Powershot SD850 IS Digital Elph. A bit pricey, but a great gift and does a pretty good job with most of the coins I have photographed so far.

I haven't tried omnicoin or any of the others some of CP folks have mentioned, mostly because I want to keep my pics here in my computer and not out there in cyberspace with someone else's logo on them. Guess I need to learn how to put my own logo on my pics.

Take care,

Corky

Archived