CoinPeople.com

A little Error Quiz for you ! Coin number 2

dooly

my guess without really digging in is that it is a doubled die... there are quite a few known... but i really don't see much doubling...but that's all i can see..

;) Logical try but its not a doubled die ;)

dooly :ninja:

Don't know much of anything about early US coins, but it appears to be a late 1867 Variety II, without the 'rays' that the earlier 1867 Variety I coin had between the stars. Other than that it looks pretty much like the pictures I have seen.

Just a guess.

Corky

;) You are right it is a "no Rays" 1867 but there is a lot more !!!

"Normal" coin about $40 this one 3-4 x the value !! ;)

and probably URS-1 !!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Dooly, guess that was my best guess. I checked my Red Book to get the 'no rays' part, but other than that I can't see anything else. And would you believe it, I can usually spot a mistake in or on most anything. ;)

Thanks for giving us a chance to learn something new.

Corky

;) At least you are trying and that's the way to learn ;) and if you see one of these think of me when you make a nice little profit and get one up on your local coin dealer !!!!!

i think i will let it run a little longer before i let the secret out !!

have a go at the other errors i have posted you may have to look close but that's how to "Cherrypick" ;)

Ps: this coin was stolen from a "large" coin dealer in the USA .. who had no idea .. so bargains are still out there !!

Not sure from the photo, but there appears to be a die crack across the lower shield and the beginning of another at the top of the 7.

Not sure from the photo, but there appears to be a die crack across the lower shield and the beginning of another at the top of the 7.

;) Hi bill .. thanks for the guess.. but that's not the answer..

This is most certainly a coin of the Fall ;)

Think American !!!!!!!!!!

Dooly,

What is odd about this is I found a 5 cent left facing Liberty Bust with rev of Laurel on the reverse being auctioned.

It was supposedly struck in 1867.

Even though the Red Book shows that it was not struck until 1883,

is this suppose to be a left facing Liberty Bust with laurel wreath on the reverse?

The auction is on the following site:

www.coincommunity.com/coin_histories/nickel_1866_shield.asp

Corky

I know there are many varieties, shattered dies, etc, but I've never studied these nickels. I can only see two other items from the image:

The base of the annulet (blew that spelling) at the base of the shield looks to have a dropping image, but I'm not absolutely certain. I know there is at least one variation with that feature.

The other is the left hand stars on the reverse with the dropping "shadow", but that could be die chatter as opposed to a die variety.

Dooly,

What is odd about this is I found a 5 cent left facing Liberty Bust with rev of Laurel on the reverse being auctioned.

It was supposedly struck in 1867.

Even though the Red Book shows that it was not struck until 1883,

is this suppose to be a left facing Liberty Bust with laurel wreath on the reverse?

The auction is on the following site:

www.coincommunity.com/coin_histories/nickel_1866_shield.asp

Corky

Sorry Corky that's not it and i could not use the link ??

I know there are many varieties, shattered dies, etc, but I've never studied these nickels. I can only see two other items from the image:

The base of the annulet (blew that spelling) at the base of the shield looks to have a dropping image, but I'm not absolutely certain. I know there is at least one variation with that feature.

The other is the left hand stars on the reverse with the dropping "shadow", but that could be die chatter as opposed to a die variety.

No Bill the annulet is quite normal.. and well spotted on the Broken point star at K-10 that the key feacher of "Reverse hub IIa which is found on all 1867 No ray shields some of the 1868, all the 1869 narrow dates, and some of the 1869 Wide date shield nickles. Still not the glaring error on this coin..

Oh!! Fall... Think American.... the dollar is falling... I get it! The nickel isn't worth 5 Canadian cents!

:ninja: like the answer but remember the UK has another word for "the fall" check out my earlier Hint !!!! ;)

I assume you are referring to the leaves falling in the fall and the lowest leaves on the left side of the shield, but the coin is worn and I can't be sure of the loss of detail there. Is that a die fault and not a product of wear and strike?

I assume you are referring to the leaves falling in the fall and the lowest leaves on the left side of the shield, but the coin is worn and I can't be sure of the loss of detail there. Is that a die fault and not a product of wear and strike?

;) OOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! you are so close ! but as you guessed that is just a weak area of the Die strike... Dont give up now Bill :ninja:

Okay, its missing the fourth leaf on the upper right where someone forgot to engrave it because it was not on the hub that was used to produce the die. (Had to go to outside help for this one.)

Okay, its missing the fourth leaf on the upper right where someone forgot to engrave it because it was not on the hub that was used to produce the die. (Had to go to outside help for this one.)

;);) WELL DONE ;);)

Yep you got it spot on

Ml1867L.jpg

"normal coin"

NCS4.jpg

Thanks to you all for having a go

look out for my next one.. and keep hunting :ninja:

Archived