CoinPeople.com
Sign in to follow this  
KurtS

1798 Large Cent--A Puzzling Attribution Challenge

A friend has asked my help attributing a 1798 cent. After hours studying the 46 (!) known die pairs, I cannot place this coin. I'm simply stumped! Can anyone more knowledgeable shed some light on this puzzle?

A few things I note that make this coin unique:

The distance of the words "LIBERTY" to the outline of the head. And, the "8" in the date, which almost appears to have a corner in the upper right--has perhaps overstruck a 7?

gallery_4457_251_67652.jpg

I cannot correlate that fraction in Breen's Penny Whimsy with anything remotely similar to the obverse:

gallery_4457_251_12463.jpg

I'm truly puzzled...and a little excited for my friend if this turns out to be a new variety!

So prove my hunch wrong--fit this within S-144 to S-187. :ninja:

I wish I could help. I know others will be able to here. But what's your friend doing with a 1798 cent and making you do all the legwork? Shouldn't he/she be the pro with a nice coin like that!

I wish I could help. I know others will be able to here. But what's your friend doing with a 1798 cent and making you do all the legwork? Shouldn't he/she be the pro with a nice coin like that!

Thanks for the offer, and I missed this one the first few passes too.

Update: I'm pretty certain this is an S-185, case closed! :ninja: