CoinPeople.com
Sign in to follow this  
KurtS

Can you spot a RB vs RD in copper coins?

Does anyone else wonder whether copper coins can be accurately differentiated between RB and RD in photos. It's a big issue for me--and perhaps others--since I shop for new coins online. With that in mind, consider these three different coins...how would you decide--RB or RD? These are PCGS slabbed coins; I'll post answers later.

a.

137ol.jpg

b.

295ol.jpg

c.

72ol.jpg

the problem with the early Lincolns is that the planchets are a different shade of red then the later lincoln cents.. from those pictures id say that the first one is red... the second one could be red... but im gonna guess RB and the last one is definitely RB

I agree with lostdutchman but the top one might be RD the middle one for sure is RD the last one is RB.

I can believe it but the last one looked like a RB but I guess it is just aged and discolored a little.

Can also be the lighting in the photograph. Bowers has written a few articles on the RD/RB/BR thing. It's really the grader's call for the most part.