bill

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The current ANA president, Tom Hallenbeck is the only ANA president who's father preceeded him as an ANA president. It was a moving moment last summer in Chicago when his father performed the ceremony installing him as president. Tom had a personal medal struck to commemorate the father-son presidencies and he presents them as gifts to individuals who serve the ANA. I was fortunate enough to have received one in Denver for serving on an ad hoc IT advisory committee for the association. Its a great addition to my collection. I believe 100 were struck.

1007703.jpg

The current ANA president, Tom Hallenbeck is the only ANA president who's father preceeded him as an ANA president. It was a moving moment last summer in Chicago when his father performed the ceremony installing him as president. Tom had a personal medal struck to commemorate the father-son presidencies and he presents them as gifts to individuals who serve the ANA. I was fortunate enough to have received one in Denver for serving on an ad hoc IT advisory committee for the association. Its a great addition to my collection. I believe 100 were struck.

1007703.jpg

Bill that's a great piece for your collection. You won't see many of those showing up on ebay or at the local show.

Bill that's a great piece for your collection. You won't see many of those showing up on ebay or at the local show.

Certainly not mine (on Ebay that is). This one will be passed to my grandson for his collection.

• 1 year later...

Fantastic medals Bill! I love them all!

I'm just curious, where do you find the information regarding mintages? I have both the badge for the 1970 St. Louis convention, but also a serial numbered set of three medals in a Capital plastics holder. I can't find much information on how many of each were minted, etc. Is there a gold standard reference for these pieces?

Thanks much,

-Brandon

Back issues of the Numismatist have some great info on these medals. There's a post that I made a number of years ago that references specific issues and pages but I've forgotten what they were. I'll give a search when I have a few minutes.

What Art said. I believe there is a privately issued book out as well. I have not seen it myself, but I did see the collection at the ANA summer show in Philadelphia. Spectacular collection. I'll post the info if I can refind it.

I found this online:

Former ANA Historian N. Neil Harris published a
catalog of ANA convention badges and medals in The
Numismatist from January 1970 through December 1973.

In the December 1979 issue he published a supplement
updating the catalog through 1979 and again in December
1989. Numismatist Editor Barbara Gregory wrote the last
update in the December 1999 issue.

Now I just need to get motivated and order these from the ANA library.

• 8 months later...

I recently picked up this, but I'm not sure of the mintage. I also have the badge type....anyone offer help on the mintages for these Capital Plastics sets for 1964?

1964ANA_Set103_zps6f792150.jpg

According to my notes there were 300 - Bronze & Silver Medal sets issued. Each medal is numbered on the edge.

According to my notes there were 300 - Bronze & Silver Medal sets issued. Each medal is numbered on the edge.

Art, thanks so much for the information. I will take better photos when I receive the medals in hand. :)

Nice photography. These sets are getting more and more expensive. Some are quite hard to find.

This one was posted on eBay for $49.88 with free shipping Buy-it-now. I had the "search" set up for nearly a year for this 1964 set -- so I scooped it up immediately at that price when I got the email notice. There are still bargains to be found on occasion. :)

This one was posted on eBay for $49.88 with free shipping Buy-it-now. I had the "search" set up for nearly a year for this 1964 set -- so I scooped it up immediately at that price when I got the email notice. There are still bargains to be found on occasion. :)

Absolutely. It takes a great deal of patience and work mixed with a smattering of luck. That's a good price, especially considering the silver medal is probably worth 20 something just for melt value.

Absolutely. It takes a great deal of patience and work mixed with a smattering of luck. That's a good price, especially considering the silver medal is probably worth 20 something just for melt value.

On a side note, a very nice member over on the PCGS forums sent me a PDF version of the "CATALOG OF AMERICAN NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION CONVENTION BADGES AND MEDALS" by Charles Hosch, which has been most helpful. It is the compendium compiling all of the Numismatist article information scattered over the various issues from the 1970s, 80s, and 90s into one resource.

:bhyper:

On a side note, a very nice member over on the PCGS forums sent me a PDF version of the "CATALOG OF AMERICAN NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION CONVENTION BADGES AND MEDALS" by Charles Hosch, which has been most helpful. It is the compendium compiling all of the Numismatist article information scattered over the various issues from the 1970s, 80s, and 90s into one resource.

:bhyper:

That's a great resource. I wouldn't mind having a copy myself. My list is from my own research reading articles in the Numismatist for the most part.

• 2 months later...

Here are some pics of the Chicago 1999 ANA medals awarded to exhibitors and judges hot struck in 46 grams of pure silver. These were engraved by Ron Landis of the now defunct Gallery Mint. The first one is the official version (young head Minerva) with a mintage of 150 pieces. The second was a pattern (mature head Minerva) that was rejected, only 15 were struck. The ANA folks wanted the 'Lamp of Knowledge' to be more prominent in the reverse design. Cliff

tn-250_1999 ANA Judges Medal_Obv-Rev.JPG

tn-250_1999ANAJudgesMedal-Pattern_Obv-Rev.JPG

Here is a picture of the 1998 judges and exhibitors medal awarded at the Portland show. It shows the edge dies of the piece. This piece was engraved by Ron Landis of the Gallery Mint in brass, then a mold was made and these medals were each cast from that mold. A published mintage of 120 pieces for this issue.

The edge of a piece like this can be imaged by using the reflective mirror from a larger flashlight. Simply set the piece inside the mirror and there is the edge.

Cliff

tn-600_1998_ANA_MEDAL_Portland_Obv_Edge.JPG

I have a substantial collection of Gallery Mint items collected from about 1995 - 2007. Haven't looked at them too much since the Mint closed. Also have a nice accumulation of early Jefferson nickels, clad circulation strike Ike dollars & Kennedy halves, SMS cameo pieces, cameo proof 1964-1972 U.S. coins, a nice collection of Mexican small silver from 1860-1910, Canadian large cents, stuff like that.

I collect a lot of other things besides coins. Right now, I'm heavily into spring motor phonographs - Victrolas and others.

I'm retired now, so I have enough time to enjoy collecting and cataloging.

Glad to be here - Cliff

In 2005, Ron Landis of the Gallery Mint carved a likeness of the famous fountain in Cincinnati for the 2005 token that year. The token was struck on aluminum(?) planchets. The folks at the Gallery Mint also made special dies for this medal and struck copper and silver medals and put together 75 numbered sets struck with these dies.

Cliff

tn-300_2005_CINCINNATI-75th_Copper_Obv-Rev_0001.JPG

tn-300_2005_CINCINNATI-75th_Silver_Obv-Rev_0001.JPG

tn-250_2005_CINCINNATI-75th_Box_Inside.JPG

That is how it was described by the folks at the Gallery Mint.

The following link lists everything issued from the Gallery Mint. Scroll down to 1999 to see info about the 'hot struck' medals:

http://www.gmmnut.com/gmm/gmmtime.html

Cliff