CoinPeople.com

ANA Medals (and Badges)

bill

1963 Denver, Colorado

Silver

500 sets in Silver and Bronze. This medal is numbered 378 on the edge. It was designed by Charles Nelson with assistance from Dan H. Brown and James Nelson. It was struck by Medallic Art.

975377.jpg

The image of Pike's Peak is adapted from the 1861 John Parsons and Co. Pike's Peak gold piece. The reverse features reproductions of the J.J. Conway & Co. 1861 gold piece and the Lesher Referendum Dollar. Although it is unrelated and struck 54 years earlier, the Thomas Elder satirical dig at Farran Zerbe bears a striking resemblence to the convention medal when one considers that Zerbe promoted the Lesher dollars as collectors items and Elder chose to illustrate him as an ass atop Pike's Peak:

952567.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Gallery Mint's Exhibitor and Judges medal for the 1997 ANA Convention in New York. I'm experimenting with photographing the engraved edge. I know there is a method with mirrors, but I don't have the right set up. Instead, I've formed a composite of multiple images.

4125415285_b4524788ff_b.jpg

If you want the full detail, click here.

I got this in 2003 but I missed the convention itself.

The one from 1996 is the same, but in silver and I did go to Denver to pick it up.

heath_2nd.jpg

I wish everyone had the skill (and determination) you have for photographing coins. The different angles are a refreshing look that give the coin depth.

The Gallery Mint's Exhibitor and Judges medal for the 1997 ANA Convention in New York. I'm experimenting with photographing the engraved edge. I know there is a method with mirrors, but I don't have the right set up. Instead, I've formed a composite of multiple images.

4125415285_b4524788ff_b.jpg

If you want the full detail, click here.

Superb photography of this beautiful piece. I bid on one of these once but didn't come even close.

I got this in 2003 but I missed the convention itself.

The one from 1996 is the same, but in silver and I did go to Denver to pick it up.

I'd forgotten about that medal. I have one on my shelf as well. I'll have to add it to the collection along with my 25 year medal.

• 2 weeks later...
2008 in Phoenix. Native Copper:

4161696801_690921649f_b.jpg

Great copper medal. I was tempted to order one of these but could not get it to the top of my priorities list. I'm sure that I'll regret that in years to come.

• 2 months later...

4406881265_5666bca6e3_b.jpg

Chicago 1956

Centennial of the small cent

Designed by Vernon Sheldon.

Manufactured by Louis J. Imber Co., Chicago

Gilt: 2000

Silver 5

Nice badge. I really like the ones with an unusual shape and design.

I've got a Boston bean pot still to image and a run of another 7 plus a couple of more to post in the coming weeks. Good fun, thanks for getting me hooked Art.

• 4 weeks later...

The 1999 Exhibitor and Judge's medal was limited to 150 and struck silver. The Minerva head was modeled after the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition $50 gold piece. This particular piece came from the Gallery Mint and could have been a prototype.

979625.jpg

The bean pot is still to come, but first the medal portion of the 1942 badge (ribbon and nameplate lacking):

979624.jpg

May 2011, I added the full badge to my collection.

5810505989_3fa666368d_b.jpg

979992.jpg

Another Gallery Mint token, this one for the 1995 J.T. Stanton campaign for the ANA Board. The piece pictured here has the Type 2 reverse, the actual release revers. An earlier version proved unworkable. 1,000 were struck in brass and 500 in copper. How can you tell them apart? Always somewhat of a mystery to me when I see pieces labelled copper or brass. In this instance, the photograph on the obverse is from a brass token, the photograph of the reverse is from a copper token. Does that help?

4490983644_10a7ca1a6b_b.jpg

1948 Annual Convention in Boston

Designed by Henry Schuhmacher

Manufactured by Whitehead & Hoag Co.n Newark, N.J.

Mintage: approximately 975

A related convention token:

975120.jpg

Nine years later, but it kind of goes with the theme of the Boston badge:

4491073534_623af348f3_b.jpg

1957 Annual Convention in Philadelphia

Designed by Julius Windner and Howard A. Davidson

Manufactured by August C. Frank & Co., Philadelphia

Mintage: 1,122 plus 25 in silver.

• 3 months later...

4825384319_b69ea9054d_z.jpg

1958 Annual Convention in Los Angeles