CoinPeople.com

ANA Medals (and Badges)

bill

4825385777_0a1ea4ee93_z.jpg

1985 Annual Convention in Baltimore

Designed by Henry W. Schab and N. Neil Harris

Sculpted by David E. Castruccio

Struck by Medallic Art Co., Danbury, CT.

Mintage: 1,500

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice. I have the Pike's Peak medal in my collection but none of the last three badges. I haven't gotten anything new in a long time. Maybe it's time.

The most expensive piece in this collection was $85. Most were $10 or less (all prices include postage).

1494615650_95c8685f14.jpg

That's Pike's Peak in the center distance. It doesn't quite look like the medal either.

Take a look at this puppy on ebay. I hope he gets his price. I have 6 or 7 of those.

ANA 1962 Badge on ebay

He's had them listed for about a year now. I paid 5 for mine!

• 1 month later...

Another batch of badges to post:

4975929044_7e72c77835_z.jpg

1947 Annual Convention, Buffalo, New York

Designed by William C. Behringer

Engraved by Alphonse A. Kolb

Manufactured by Whitehead & Hoag Co.

Mintage: 400±

4978669026_35598f41dc_z.jpg

1952 Annual Convention, New York, NY

Designed by Louis Werner

Manufactured by Whitehead & Hoag Co.

Mintage: 450±

I don't know what the material/die is for the blue ribbon, but they fade to an add color (see the Official's badge earl;ier in this thread).

4978130049_9d712a5639_z.jpg

1961 Annual Convention: Atlanta, Georgia

Designed by Edwin Harrison

Manufactured by Medallic Art Co.

Mintage: 1,500

4975258269_b5e1a09033_z.jpg

1967 Annual Convention: Miami Beach, Florida

Designed and Sculpted by Margaret Grigor

Manufactured by Medallic Art Co.

Mintage: 3,000

While I can show the progression of my collection in the order in which items are added to this thread, it makes it difficult to see how the styles of the medals progress through time. While it is not complete, I have posted many of the badges on flickr and I keep the flickr set ordered by date. The items can be viewed in time order there.

• 10 months later...

While I can show the progression of my collection in the order in which items are added to this thread, it makes it difficult to see how the styles of the medals progress through time. While it is not complete, I have posted many of the badges on flickr and I keep the flickr set ordered by date. The items can be viewed in time order there.

Very nice Bill. I like the set on flickr it does make it easy to view them all. Added anything lately. I certainly haven't. The prices have risen quite a bit and especially the two and three medal sets with the silver in them. I can't even imagine what the rare sets with the gold medals are worth these days.

I have some things backed up while I've been writing. One of these days I'll get back to the collection. Yes, things are starting to get more expensive as I try to fill in some of the earlier material.

How about some Howland Wood medals? These are given out for best in show exhibits. I am not sure what year these were instituted, but originally they were a silver medal given the the best of show exhibitor. Sometime in the 1990s they started announcing who the runners up were, and in 1999 they switched to a gold/silver/bronze system.

This is the very first bronze given out for second runner up (for my exhibit on eagle varieties on Imperial Russian rubles). The color changed to a more coppery color in later years.

bronze.jpg

When they present the awards at the ANA banquet, they give you a medal in a box, but there's a note saying please give it back at the end of the banquet so it can be engraved on the reverse. By the time I won my first Best of Show, I knew that that process would take more than two months, so I photographed the "presentation" medal.

gold.jpg

This medal was apparently donated by the Franklin mint and at some point they stopped doing that, so the ANA went to another supplier and the medals took on a much more polished look, so the gold ones I have are polished--unfortunately I don't have pics ready to hand. Apparently now they are lustrous once again.

It turns out I have the largest (but not the best!) collection of Howland Wood medals, three bronzes and three golds. Thomas Law's heirs have three silvers (back from when they _were_ the Best of Show award) and two golds. No one has won all three types of medals. Sam Deep is another multiple-medal holder and he never got a bronze, and I never got a silver. Now the first and second runners up get a Radford Stearns medal.

How about some Howland Wood medals? These are given out for best in show exhibits. I am not sure what year these were instituted, but originally they were a silver medal given the the best of show exhibitor. Sometime in the 1990s they started announcing who the runners up were, and in 1999 they switched to a gold/silver/bronze system.

This is the very first bronze given out for second runner up (for my exhibit on eagle varieties on Imperial Russian rubles). The color changed to a more coppery color in later years.

bronze.jpg

When they present the awards at the ANA banquet, they give you a medal in a box, but there's a note saying please give it back at the end of the banquet so it can be engraved on the reverse. By the time I won my first Best of Show, I knew that that process would take more than two months, so I photographed the "presentation" medal.

gold.jpg

This medal was apparently donated by the Franklin mint and at some point they stopped doing that, so the ANA went to another supplier and the medals took on a much more polished look, so the gold ones I have are polished--unfortunately I don't have pics ready to hand. Apparently now they are lustrous once again.

It turns out I have the largest (but not the best!) collection of Howland Wood medals, three bronzes and three golds. Thomas Law's heirs have three silvers (back from when they _were_ the Best of Show award) and two golds. No one has won all three types of medals. Sam Deep is another multiple-medal holder and he never got a bronze, and I never got a silver. Now the first and second runners up get a Radford Stearns medal.

Congratulations on the fine wins. The medals are beautiful. I'd not seen them before that I can recall. The exhibits are one of my favorite parts of a show. I spend more time there than on the sales floor, generally speaking that is.

Beautiful medals. The only way a collector can acquire award medals for their collection is when they come on the open market. The few that have, generally bring big bucks compared to what I have been spending on my collection.

Anyone have a Smedley award to post. I love the design of that award and have been outbid the two times I have seen them for sale.

Oh yeah. Congratulations on your awards. I love the exhibits and really appreciate the work that goes into them. I write as my form of exhibiting, primarily because I have never been talented enough to pull off something that matches the exceptional quality of the exhibits at the ANA level.

• 1 month later...

I've been seriously collecting ANA Convention badges since 2004. I am now complete from 1928 to date except for 1941, 1944 and 2004-2010. I also have 1914,'16,'17,'20,'21,'24,'25 and '26. Many thanks to Jim Layman, who helped me complete many of the badges fron the '60's through the '90's. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has any of the badges that I still need.

Gary

I've been seriously collecting ANA Convention badges since 2004. I am now complete from 1928 to date except for 1941, 1944 and 2004-2010. I also have 1914,'16,'17,'20,'21,'24,'25 and '26. Many thanks to Jim Layman, who helped me complete many of the badges fron the '60's through the '90's. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has any of the badges that I still need.

Gary

I can add a simulated 1915 badge from San Francisco. I believe only one is known (in the ANA collection). I have the gold-plated official medal from the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition with the loop as sold at the PPIE. These medals were used for the ANA badges. I paired my medal with the ANA picture of its badge. Their picture was in b&w, so I had to approximate the described gold color of the ribbon. I've never seen it so I don't know what it actually looks like. So, allowing for the off-color of the ribbon, a full badge would look like the one pictured here. My medal is the same medal as used for the badges although I have no way if knowing if it actually came from an ANA badge.

6117351011_655167814f_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The Chicago Coin Club was the local host for the 2011 ANA convention this summer. The club issued their own medal for the show:

996024.jpg

They used the same medal format to create gifts for the Numismatic Theater speakers. I proudly wore mine for the remainder of the convention. The Chicago Coin Club has a lot of class in my opinion.

6188087532_61e2212698_z.jpg