CoinPeople.com

More interesting find from the copper hoard

gxseries

banivechi if it helps, I'll add the weight of the two examples that I have but both years UNFORTUNATELY have no years on them - worn ;)

20.9, 21.0g (+-0.1g variance) Sorry, don't have a 0.01g scale ;)

Igors by any chance, is your coin reedged? 17.39g seems pretty low unless there happened to be a wide variance that I didn't know. Will be looking forward to your image of the overstruck para coin :ninja:

I've checked the weight of other 1 kopek examples but found it an almost useless test to do with. I only have one Catherine II kopeks compared to 10 other examples of Elizabeth kopeks that I have. Most of them are over 8.5grams with two examples at 7.0 and 6.9g but they are heavily corroded. The 1757 1k overstruck on the Swedish 1 ore is in a much better condition and that is 10.3g.

Unfortunately because of the bad corrosion of the coin that I am showing, it just weighs a miserable 7.5g ;)

Steve, if it really helps, I will send this coin to your place postpaid as well as for it's return. There is nothing more I can do with my abilities as well as the limited resources that I have.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Igors by any chance, is your coin reedged? 17.39g seems pretty low unless there happened to be a wide variance that I didn't know. Will be looking forward to your image of the overstruck para coin :ninja:

qxseries, Bitkin show the weight of 2 para to be 14.60-22.23g, and 1 para 9.36-12.05. The edge is ornamented.

Steve, I hope you are not waiting for my written permission to use my coin in your database. But in case you are, permission granted ;)

qxseries, Bitkin show the weight of 2 para to be 14.60-22.23g, and 1 para 9.36-12.05. The edge is ornamented.

My lightest 2 para coins are 14,45 and 14,50 grams (both 1773) and the heaviest is 21,82 grams (1772)

1 para I have between 12,62 and 8,69 grams.

Steve, I hope you are not waiting for my written permission to use my coin in your database. But in case you are, permission granted ;)

Thanks Igor! I've been out all day, so I was waiting, but in an undisclosed location ;)

Thanks again

:ninja:

Steve

:

Steve, if it really helps, I will send this coin to your place postpaid as well as for it's return. There is nothing more I can do with my abilities as well as the limited resources that I have.

Thanks for the offer! I'm going to work with your images a little first. If I need to see the real thing I may take you up on your offer and there are some experts here in New York (some on this board) who I'd also show it to if needed.

Steve

Here are a few more interesting coins from the lot:

930760.jpg

This is the more unusual denomination above the Moscow emblem. I was looking for a Poor grade example for the past few years but could not justify the mad prices these days. Glad I found it in this lot ;) The bizarre thing about this coin is that while the obverse is struck downwards, the reverse is struck upwards - that's pretty wonky :ninja:

And here is another unusual feature of combining two elements in an overstruck - if this was in a higher grade, it would look VERY interesting:

930759.jpg

Unfortunately the year is not viewable on that one.

And lastly this wierd coin:

930758.jpg

Is this supposed to be the denomination above the Moscow emblem or below? I was thinking it is below as most overstruck coins are supposed to have the denomination at below but the edge so far with it's crust does not seem to have a net edge. ;) I'll probably have to try to move a fair amount of the crust from the edge to really confirm if it does have a net edge or not.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I believe it to be:

Original raw file:

95881editaj2.jpg

Outlined digit:

9588outlineoq6.jpg

Another raw file:

1795ph3.jpg

Outlined background:

1795editedwt0.jpg

1795editediz9.jpg

Hopefully you can see what I am trying to explain :ninja:

By the way, this forum automatically resizes the pictures, so please click on the bar that says "Click to view full image" to have a better view.

squirrel, I think it's already a miracle that the underlying 1788 kopek survived from the impact of overstriking, made much worse under the bad corrosion that pretty much ate up a fair amount of the surface for any useful analysis. I wouldn't doubt that it might have been a 1762 2 kopek under that layer but this is already beyond any standard ways of viewing it - I think it will require a x-ray scan :ninja: Oddly enough, I have never seen an overstruck coin with a clip. Not too sure when the clip happened.

Steve, do you think it's really the 1795/88 1 kopek over 1788 1 kopek after viewing the pictures?

squirrel, I think it's already a miracle that the underlying 1788 kopek survived from the impact of overstriking, made much worse under the bad corrosion that pretty much ate up a fair amount of the surface for any useful analysis. I wouldn't doubt that it might have been a 1762 2 kopek under that layer but this is already beyond any standard ways of viewing it - I think it will require a x-ray scan ;) Oddly enough, I have never seen an overstruck coin with a clip. Not too sure when the clip happened.

Steve, do you think it's really the 1795/88 1 kopek over 1788 1 kopek after viewing the pictures?

my point is that it would be more likely to see traces of the 1762 overstiking under there, which would obliterate the 1758 coin, but since we can see (more or less) the 1758 crown and date, perhaps this coin missed being overstruck in 1762, thus was a 1 kopek all along, and never got the 1 year promotion to 2 kopek :ninja: still quite interesting to investigate! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived