CoinPeople.com

Solved: Assistance in id'ing coinlike thing needed.

Graikos

Hello.

In the recent lot I bought, this coin like thing was discovered. It feels very durable, but weighs only 0.7 gr. Yup, not even 1 g. The diameter is 15 mm.

Unknown1.jpg

Unknown-2.jpg

Hopefully someone can help me out. I can imagine that this could be a token and not a coin. Anyway... all hints are welcome.

Regards,

Demetrios

Looks Middle-Eastern. My suspicions point in the token area but it might be a coin. I cannot help you any further Demetrios.

Best of luck! :ninja:

Clive.

Hello. Well, I don't know if the writing is the right way around. I forgot to mention that I present the "coin" the way it shows its sides if you flip it along it's horizontal axis, when it is in your hand and the side without letters shows the way it does on the picture. ;) Even I don't know what I just said! :ninja:;)

I know I have seen this mirror like picture before (it does look a bit like those mirrors you can flip around, but I am sure it isn't)... I just don't know where.

Found it, found it. The mubarak hint was the big clue. And I finally decided to search with the word "mirror" as well. So "mubarak" and "mirror" revealed that these are Iranian marriage tokens. Like here.. Unfortunately I got a relatively ugly version, but still quite interesting.

oooo yeaa lol im so dumb i saw this yesterday ;) ...when you marry (if your a persian ;) like me ) they throw coins over your heads ;) ...mostly gold ..... in the old days but now i think mixed or silver only or brass

Don't expect me to come to your wedding just to throw gold coins over your head. :ninja:

One could pare this off into a discussion of numismatics and weddings and how they tie in with traditions.

One old tradition which is practiced in the UK, Ireland and sometimes in N. America is giving a sixpence to your intended. Back in the early days, if you were doffed she would bend it and cast it away, giving rise to the term "bender" Sixpences during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I(1558-1603) were very thin, so they could be easily bent. Though later sixpences were smaller diameter they were also thicker and could not be bent. But the tradition continues of giving a sixpence.

There is a saying:

Something borrowed, something blue

Something old, something new,

and a sixpence in her shoe

So more recently sixpences are worn by the bride in her shoe and then kept. It is bad omen to lose them, I know a relative of mine that lost the sixpence and the husband later to divorce.

Here is the tanner(sixpence) that my intended received:

qeisixpence1562.jpg

Thankfully she neither bent it and cast it away, nor lost it from her shoe but have kept it safe and secure ever since. It is a pretty nice piece, a nice piece for her that have appreciated considerably in value in the time in which she has owned it.

Archived