YeOldeCollector

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know what you're thinking, "IT'S NOT HAMMERED" :ninja:

But hey, I couldn't resist its gleaming surface!

Viren1.jpg

Viren2.jpg

Viren3.jpg

A nice £5 coin from the Isle of Man made from solid Virenium. Has details in pics above. ^^

Also got an exceptionally rare sceat, North lists it as ER which is the highest rarity scale. I have several unique hammered coins but this one is a welcome addition. Spink 774 Varimundus Type B of high quality silver.

Vari1.jpg

Vari2.jpg

Vari3.jpg

Minute coin, albeit 3/4, as can be seen compared to an 1806 Halfpenny.

Regards,

Clive.

Neither, it's made from Virenium, an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel. Kind of like a man made precious metal.

- Clive.

I especially like the Sceat, those are just such neat coins, and all a bit of an enigma. So far I have a couple from Northumbria that were then my oldest British coins. I really like the designs of the early Anglo-Saxon and Northumbrian pieces, but the later Northumbrians got fairly plain and coppery.

Many thanks Doug, I've missed out quite a few purchases but most can be seen on the CoinsGB forum NEWP's.

- Clive.

Got myself two Henry III pennies today.

Notice anything odd about them? :ninja:

Penny 1

Errror_Henry1.jpg

Penny 2

Errror_Henry2.jpg

Errror_Henry3.jpg

Regards,

Clive,

Also got an exceptionally rare sceat, North lists it as ER which is the highest rarity scale. I have several unique hammered coins but this one is a welcome addition. Spink 774 Varimundus Type B of high quality silver.

Cool coin, YOC. Just curious, appx how much did that pretty penny cost you? I'd love to know how an ER sceat compares to a similar US coin rarity in price.

The person ID'd the coin incorrectly as something that wasn't as rare so I picked it up for only £54 or about $110 US. It's value is much greater.

Look at penny one, instead of an ordinary coin like this: Henry111.jpg

It has two circles and nearly two crosses. This is when it has been double struck.

On penny 2 you can see that there are two portraits, one upside down. Almost like they would on a pack of cards with the King.

Penny 1 is Class IIIb, Tomas of York that has been double struck.

Penny 2 is Class Vd, Nicole of Canterbury and has been flipped and double struck.

Regards,

Clive.

Sometime I am going to have to image my double struck Lincoln penny, I believe it is the oldest one in the world, rather since it was struck by Ion On Lincol during the long cross coinage of Henry III. The reverse was what made me buy it, apparently the flan stuck to the obverse die and got struck again by the minter.

• 2 weeks later...

Received some lovely pieces of Queen Anne this morning, here is the first: a Maundy set in almost Extremely Fine. Pics don't do it justice! Dated 1710.

Maundy1.jpg Maundy11.jpg

Maundy2.jpg Maundy22.jpg

Maundy3.jpg Maundy33.jpg

Maundy4.jpg Maundy44.jpg

Here is another piece of Queen Anne dated 1713. A lovely halfcrown.

HC1.jpg HC2.jpg

HC3.jpg HC4.jpg

All the best,

Clive.

We are going to have to be enemies, please stop posting more British stuff! Queen Anne's coinage is all the more appreciable when you understand this oft misunderstood and discriminated against in history monarch. Nowadays Queen Anne is remembered as a gout ridden and severely overweight woman who was so large when she died that her coffin was square.

But contemporarily she was remembered as a charitable person whom was the last monarch to perform the "Touch Ceremony", and the creation of "Queen Anne's Bounty". As far as Maundy ceremonies, she was the last monarch to actually perform the foot washing ceremony, and distribute the specially minted coins. The latter practice was only revived in the 20th century, so that now Queen Elizabeth I(of the United Kingdom) distributes the coins individually to the recipients.

We are going to have to be enemies, please stop posting more British stuff!

The latter practice was only revived in the 20th century, so that now Queen Elizabeth I(of the United Kingdom) distributes the coins individually to the recipients.

OK, I'll never post British coins again as you command.

What happened to QE II?

- Clive.

It's alright Marianne, he put QEI instead of QEII. :ninja:

I store my Early Maundy Set, I only have one complete set, in Lighthouse capsules.

I'm sorry deadpoint! But I will have a Henry VIII Half-groat and a Half-groat of Edward III to post soon, so all is not lost!

The Maundy coins are minute, most much smaller than your cents.

- Clive.

OK, I'll never post British coins again as you command.

What happened to QE II?

- Clive.

She is QEII of England, but QEI of Scotland. Scotland and the United Kingdom as it is never had a previous Queen Elizabeth. While QEI of England was regnant in her domain, Queen Mary, and later her son King James VI were regnant in Scotland. To Scots she is QEI.

She is QEII of England, but QEI of Scotland. Scotland and the United Kingdom as it is never had a previous Queen Elizabeth. While QEI of England was regnant in her domain, Queen Mary, and later her son King James VI were regnant in Scotland. To Scots she is QEI.

You just have to be difficult don't you? :ninja: