CoinPeople.com

YeOldeCollector's Olde Purchases

YeOldeCollector

This just arrived. It's a 9th/10th century Arabic dirham that's been used as hacksilver in Yorkshire (in the north of England) by the Vikings.

Dirham.jpg

Nice Clive!

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Definitely well travelled!

:yes: Most likely from what is modern day Iran and suspected to have been brought up through the Russian river systems and then made its way across northern Europe.

Sorry for the months late reply:

The "reverse" on that Merriman is insane. I can't imagine the number of hours it takes to carve something so detailed, and the patience!

No need to apologise, Burks!

Yes, tell me about it. The reverse is incredible, even more so in hand. To think that the engraver of the dies has managed to depict a whole building in miniature (bottom panel on reverse) with such detail is amazing - true skill!

Postcard1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Nice acquisitions for your collection Clive, the one without a loop, though it is not at either end of the date range, is struck from different dies and is unsigned?

The wreaths on the reverses are very different.

I wonder what the story is about the change & then the change back?

Nice acquisitions for your collection Clive, the one without a loop, though it is not at either end of the date range, is struck from different dies and is unsigned?

The wreaths on the reverses are very different.

I wonder what the story is about the change & then the change back?

I wonder if it's a cheaper version as it's a relay race, and so there would multiple recipients of 1st just as there would be of 2nd. It's still boxed in its original box so I assume it's still F. Phillips of Aldershot who seemed to do many school & army sports medals in the 1930s and 1940s.

:bhthumbsup:

Is the 2nd one brass or is it gilt?

I'm guessing brass, but it does look much better in hand.

• 5 weeks later...