CoinPeople.com

YeOldeCollector's Olde Purchases

YeOldeCollector

To add to my Guildford-theme sub-collection.

This is a Coronation Medal of Edward VII and Queen Alexandria. I know little about it but it did not cost much.

Guildford1-1.jpg

Guildford2-1.jpg

Two postcards of my old school, the Royal Grammar School, Guildford.

Guildford3.jpg

Guildford4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been a while since I updated this. Here are a few.

Due to the drought of early medieval purchases I purchased a few more pieces of Guildford memorabilia to keep me happy.

Gford1.jpg

Gford2.jpg

King Edward VII and Queen Alexndria Coronation medal of Guildford, 1902.

RGS1.jpg

RGS2.jpg

RGS3.jpg

I managed to acquire this medal presented to a student named Killick at my old school in 1925 for winning the high jump at 3ft 6.5in. I'm very happy to have this. (Thanks to Pat for letting me know it's presence on the market!)

Postcard1.jpg

Postcard2.jpg

Postcard3.jpg

I also managed to acquire an original photograph of my old school dated to the 1860s. If that is indeed the headmaster in the photo then it is most likely Reverend Henry Gordon Merriman who purchased Allen House for the school, a c.1660 house which can be seen here in a 1738 etching:

Allen%20House.jpg

But now back to coins.

ImitHen1.jpg

ImitHen2.jpg

A very crude imitation of Henry III's coinage. Base metal and garbled legends. An interesting piece.

Imitation.jpg

An eastern European imitation of Aethelred II's Helmet Type. Very different to the Scandinavian issues, coppery and very crude. Appears contemporaneous and follows the same design pattern as the English issue.

Liz1.jpg

Liz2.jpg

Liz3.jpg

My favourite. An Elizabeth I First Issue halfgroat with no rose or date. A very well-defined wire line inner circle and one of the best examples I've seen in a long while. Unfortunately it has been polished by the finder, hence the dark patches but it still looks better than the Spink plate example in my opinion. Very scarce.

• 2 months later...

Following the Guildford theme I managed to pick up two 17th century tokens of Guildford at the York Fair.

Gford2.jpg

Gford1.jpg

The obverse reads GVIDFORD around the arms of Guildford which is the castle between woolpacks and a couchant lion beneath. The reverse reads F M F S spaced by rosettes and surrounds the arms of Edward the Confessor. Dated 1668.

Gford3.jpg

Gford4.jpg

The second names Nicholas Lintott who was a 'Bayliffe' and an approved man of Guildford but his name was stripped of titles as he was thought to be a supporter of Cromwell and refused to take the coronation oath. The obverse features the castle whilst the reverse features a woolsack and reads OF GILFORD 1656 around the edge.

I also purchased these at the fair.

Aeth%20Barb1.jpg

Aeth%20Barb2.jpg

Listed as a barbarous obverse on an Aethelred II Last Small Cross penny it has an unusual portrait and a severely illegible legend. The reverse, however, is quite the opposite. Aethelwine on London. What looks to be an imitation due to the obverse doesn't seem right on the reverse, even though there is an absence of an I in AEDELPNE. An odd one.

Sprunt1.jpg

Sprunt2.jpg

This is also an odd one. Listed as a Cnut Quatrefoil penny it has a colon between the E and X of REX and, on the reverse, a pellet beneath the reversed S of SPRVNT. But the portrait is most unusual and does not conform to the usual issues. The portrait is our of proportion with a large cheek and an incredibly large neck that seems to take out much of the base of the reverse quatrefoil - like some issues at Sudbury. Whether a variant of Thetford or a Danish imitation is an odd one, too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of new additions.

Durham1.jpg

Durham2.jpg

A nickel medallion depicting Durham Cathedral and Saint Cuthbert's cross.

Tassie1.jpg

Also, another Tassie resin mould impression.

• 8 months later...

RGS1.JPG

RGS2.JPG

RGS3.JPG

RGS4.JPG

I could not resist this. The Merriman Medal for the Royal Grammar School, Guildford in Surrey. Dating to 1890 or later - unnamed recipient, if at all.

Looks like a hefty piece!

It is! I'll weigh it when I can. I've only seen a couple of these in white metal with the others being in bronze. What's interesting is that all of the bronze ones are named but none of the white metal ones seem to be - the fact they are all in such high grade too makes me think these might be presentation issues as they're 10mm larger.

Beautiful medal Clive & being from your old school I can see that you had no choice but to buy it.

As there seem to be less of the WM, compared to the bronze ones, could they have been given to the proctors? Mind they could still have been named.

Whatever, a great piece :bthumbsup:

Thanks, Pat - it's even more stunning in hand. As for their reason for issue, that's very true. They might have been given to those on the committee. In researching this I found that there's a Batterson Medal, too. The Batterson Medal is the result of a visit to the school by Reverend Doctor H. G. Batterson of Philadelphia who liked the school so much that he wanted a medal made as a prize for a United States Challenge in 1892 and requested the head of the US Mint to send out a special medal in order to accurately copy the US arms from. I'd love to own one of those, but they're so rare and solid gold...

• 5 months later...

This just arrived. It's a 9th/10th century Arabic dirham that's been used as hacksilver in Yorkshire (in the north of England) by the Vikings.

Dirham.jpg