CoinPeople.com

YeOldeCollector's Olde Purchases

YeOldeCollector

I buy them from fairs, members of the public who email me, eBay and other internet shops etc...

I sell my spares and other what-nots on my website, eBay (have two for sale now) and to customers on my database albeit small lol

Given any thought to my coins on here? I think that you can still use PayPal without an account.

All the best,

Clive.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ONLY reason I am not jumping on them is because I've spent a lot of $$ recently... I can barely justify the recent spending. I am having a hard time justifying your lovelies. :-( Feel free to sell them to others but if my mind change I'll let you know! :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Got this little beauty today, my best 'Dump Issue'.

1717 George I 'Dump Issue' Halfpenny. Made of copper and Spink ref 3659. In my opinion VF.

17172.gif

17171.gif

17173.gif

17174.gif

Nice Halfpenny Clive congrats! :ninja:

but its not hammered. ;);)

I've got a 1717 one too they are neat coins. I also have a fascinating double struck 1723 halfpenny which can be seen here:http://www.coinsgb.com/Error_Coins/Doublestruck.html

Do you collect George I Halfpennies or did you just like the look of it?

Hus,

I know what you are thinking, it's not a hammered!!! PaNIc! hehehe I just liked the look of it and it complements my other similar coppers from Charles II to George III. Plus I like the Cartwheel types although this is 80 years earlier.

I really like your double struck coin, I have no errors from this period only fakes. I have a few errors on my hammereds though!

All the best,

Clive.

This little guy came in the post this morning.

Photos do not do it justice, stunning coin.

Henry III Short-Cross penny class VIIb of Roger on Canterbury.

Henry_III_SX1.jpg

Henry_III_SX2.jpg

With a face only a mother could love... :ninja:

All the best,

Clive.

Notice that the obverse of the coin is double struck, there is doubling in the face, the letters etc. This was not at all uncommon back then, the reverse die was usually upper die and the coin flan would often stick to it after the first striking. The minter would then take another strike on the lower die, which resulted in the doubling, but it would loosen the coin from the die.

I have a similar penny from Henry III that was struck by Ion on Lincon, it is my earliest double struck Lincoln penny(only a USA'n ) would get that.

I noticed the double striking but it is not as prominent as many that I have seen. Many thanks for the info though!

Lincoln penny being a cent?

No, it is a Henry III penny, being my oldest double struck Lincoln penny, since it was struck by Ion on Lincon ca. 1260 AD. Lincoln is on the cent here, so it is a play on that.

BTW thanks for piquing my interests back into my English hammered coins, now I want to get them out of the bank and look at them and image them. I still have quite a few Henry III - Edward I coins, like the variety of mints. I used to have William I etc, but sold them years ago to finance the Scottish coins, I wish now that I had my nice VF Edward VI shilling, my William I PAX penny etc. I also had a really nice Calais groat from Henry VI with the annulets, it was EFish in grade. My wife has the nicest QEI tanner, it is one of the 1562 milled examples, she got it when we were married.

Here is her tanner:

qeisixpence1562.jpg

At least my wife is worth this.

I know it is a Henry III Penny :ninja:

I meant is a Lincoln Penny nowadays an American cent? I know now though... lol

Not a problem, I am a hammered addict and am slowly selling my Victorian crowns to fund my addiction.

You have showed me that one before, when we were all discussing tanner in the bride's shoe. A lovely milled piece! Well done Mrs. Scottishmoney!

• 1 month later...

I was looking for this thread! :ninja: Nice coins you've added there. That last one is amazing. Allow me a question tho. The four shields on the back are twice for England and Scotland combined, once for Ireland and then there is one shield that is french. Is it part of a claim to the French throne?

I was looking for this thread! :ninja: Nice coins you've added there. That last one is amazing. Allow me a question tho. The four shields on the back are twice for England and Scotland combined, once for Ireland and then there is one shield that is french. Is it part of a claim to the French throne?

The British monarchs claimed the French throne in fantasy for over 400 years, only relinquishing said aspiration in 1800.

Hannoverian shields were only on British coins from 1714-1837, when the Kings of Great Britain were also Electors of Hannover. This ended when William IV died and his niece, Princess Victoria became Queen of Great Britain, but couldn't assume the throne in Hannover because of the Salic Law in which male heirs had primogeniture.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I haven't posted my new purchases for a looonnnggg time, but I'll continue from now on starting with one I have just received. Plus a few of my recent faves.

A nearly Uncirculated Edward I Penny, circa 1285, penny of London mint. Class 5a, better than the one illustrated in Spink.

Looks like it has an error in that CIVI TAS seems to be spelt IVCI TAS.

uncEd3.jpg

Edward the Confessor, circa 1055, small cross penny.

Ed1.jpg

Ed2.jpg

Edward I penny of Lincoln in EF+ and one of Bristol.

Eds1.jpg

Eds2.jpg

Plus an uncirculated 1887 Halfpenny.

All the best,

Clive.

Uncirculated coinaged from the 1200s, not bad... I guess the chances of UNC change from the 13th C are better than from the 18th C, eh? More people spending the money in the latter era.

The penny might have been in a hoard somewhere, i.e. a person took the coins straight from the moneyer and buried them. But that person never returned... Then some metal detectorist several years ago stumbles upon a hoard in the English countryside and, voila, we have this nice coin!

When you think of the population changes from 1200's to 1700's it is huge, plus many peasants in the Medieval era would not have had money as bartering was the fashion.

Regards,

Clive.

Are you saying you bury all your coins? :ninja:

no!!!!

I agree with your guess as to why there are unc-ish coins from the 1200s and fewer from later centuries