Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My photos:

Aethelred1-3.jpg

Aethelred2-3.jpg

Seller's photos:

Aethelred3.jpg

Aethelred4.png

Aethelred II Last Small Cross penny, minted from 1009 to 1017. This one was minted at London by Eadmund. One of the best condition examples I've seen.

With apologies to Chrissie Hynde & the Pretenders:....SO SPECIAL...I GOTTA HAVE SOME OF YOUR ATTENTION HAMMERED, GIVE IT TO ME :bthumbsup:

:hysterical:

Is that the "best" known example? Do you have the Provenance for the coin? If so how far back can it be traced?

Is that the "best" known example? Do you have the Provenance for the coin? If so how far back can it be traced?

I highly doubt that it is the best known example, but it is definitely up there.

As for provenance, I can only go back about twenty years which makes me suspect it was found recently. As you know, some of my coins have provenance dating back to the 18th century.

Firstly, some better photos of the Aethelred II now that the sun is out:

Aeth1-3.jpg

Aeth2-3.jpg

Now for some other British pieces I've acquired:

Double1.jpg

Double2.jpg

A Queen Victoria Double Florin in stunning condition. I love it.

I have also been sent, kindly, some gifts by a few people. :D I really appreciate them and here they are:

Kennedy1.jpg

Kennedy2.jpg

Eisenhower2.jpg

Eisenhower2.jpg

Chinese1.jpg

Chinese2.jpg

A wonderful little piece. Chinese and dates to circa 1000 A.D.

Finally, what with the Euro going down the drain I was pleased to snag a reasonable 1979 proof sovereign.

Sov1.jpg

Sov2.jpg

Sov3.jpg

Nice set of coins. :bthumbsup: Beautiful matched Maundy set.

The 1884 O I think is a VAM 16. Nothing other then the date jumps out at me.

1884-O VAM-16 Very Far Date

Discovered by Leroy Van Allen, January 1974.

16 III2 5 - C3a (Very Far Date) (181) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 5 - Date set much further right than normal.

The 1881 O I can't see anything right off bat. Appears normal date position and centered and upright mint mark. On both its kind of tough trying to assign a VAM from a photo unless its something that sticks out.

Nice set of coins. :bthumbsup: Beautiful matched Maundy set.

The 1884 O I think is a VAM 16. Nothing other then the date jumps out at me.

1884-O VAM-16 Very Far Date

Discovered by Leroy Van Allen, January 1974.

16 III2 5 - C3a (Very Far Date) (181) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 5 - Date set much further right than normal.

The 1881 O I can't see anything right off bat. Appears normal date position and centered and upright mint mark. On both its kind of tough trying to assign a VAM from a photo unless its something that sticks out.

Many thanks for this, Mark. I hadn't even considered VAMs as I just went for the visual appeal of the coin.

Great coins. I could fall in love with all of them. (Especially that Maundy set! :shock::shock: WOW!)

Thanks, Art. I love Maundy sets. My favourite one can be seen here.

That Anne Maundy set is quite nice. Why is it your favorite? Is there something special about it besides the age and design. Are there any hammered Maundy sets?

Maudy coins are amongst my favs since they're practically the only small silver coins of the last century from Europe. (The only other tiny* silver coins I can think of beside the 1d and 2d that were struck with any regularity in the past two centuries are silver fanams from the Indian subcontinent)

*Smaller than 3d, half dime, or Dutch 10c.

That Anne Maundy set is quite nice. Why is it your favorite? Is there something special about it besides the age and design. Are there any hammered Maundy sets?

It's a rather rare date and is second only to the 1708 in terms of rarity of Anne's pieces. Coupled with a female portrait in a sea of male dominated royalty, the simplicity of the design and the nature of small silver I just had to have it as the price was right!

As for hammered Maundy sets, technically not but there are records of Maundy money being given out as early as King John.

Something I forgot to photography yesterday. I bought this from America as I do with quite a few hammered pieces.

Irish1.jpg

Irish2.jpg

It's an Edward I Irish penny of Dublin. It is of the Sixth Issue with the single pellet signifying this and the triangle around the portrait only found on the Irish issues of Henry III and Edward I. This particular coin dates near enough to 1300.