CoinPeople.com

YeOldeCollector's Olde Purchases

YeOldeCollector

See... A diameter of an inch is still small in my opinion. I'm not sure I can handle the minuteness of hammered coins...

On another note, you've shown us that some portraits are full, some 3/4 bust, some only of the head. Some face left, right, or head on. Any symbolism to all of that?

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See... A diameter of an inch is still small in my opinion. I'm not sure I can handle the minuteness of hammered coins...

The Robert coin is the same diameter as a pre-Decimal penny, do have one to hand? I think that's pretty large to be honest.

On another note, you've shown us that some portraits are full, some 3/4 bust, some only of the head. Some face left, right, or head on. Any symbolism to all of that?

I assume that the direction of the portrait would be entirely up to the designer. It is thought that such designs were presented to the monarch before coins were produced and so, if he was happy with it, it would be minted. Obviously this cannot be true for every monarch, I do think that the designers would have a lot of freedom to do what they wanted to his portrait. Therefore I think it is purely up to the 'artist' as to which way the monarch is facing. Of course, they would have to follow tradition though.

I may have to add a single hammered coin to my "get it" for 2010 list. What would you suggest for me. Something very nice in design. A quality strike in excellent condition. Nice metal. Very reasonable price (read this to mean cheap!!! really really cheap!!!).?

I may have to add a single hammered coin to my "get it" for 2010 list. What would you suggest for me. Something very nice in design. A quality strike in excellent condition. Nice metal. Very reasonable price (read this to mean cheap!!! really really cheap!!!).?

:ninja:

You would probably like something like a Voided Longcross penny of Henry III either that or an Edward I penny. For a decent VF example and plenty of patience, you would be looking at about £30-£35 on a good day. ;)

I assume that the direction of the portrait would be entirely up to the designer. It is thought that such designs were presented to the monarch before coins were produced and so, if he was happy with it, it would be minted. Obviously this cannot be true for every monarch, I do think that the designers would have a lot of freedom to do what they wanted to his portrait. Therefore I think it is purely up to the 'artist' as to which way the monarch is facing. Of course, they would have to follow tradition though.

This must certainly be the case for John and Richard I pennies, all of which were struck in the name of Henry II, bearing in mind that Henry II's children were at war with him at the time of his death, I can't think Richard would have purposely chosen to have his father's name on the coins. I suspect it was the case that the coins worked, Richard didn't really care (as his interests lay elsewhere, towards capturing Jerusalem) and thus the status quo was kept. Seems odd when you think about it though because in a time before mass media and newspapers, coinage was really the only medium for the monarch to assert his authority in a non physically having to go and visit way. The Romans used them, the Anglo-Saxons used them and so did the Normans, how comes the imagery of royal portrature took a backseat in Richard and John's reigns?

• 1 month later...

BNJ just arrived. It is a very interesting read. Glad to see Martin Allen included my beaten up Henry I Type 14 :ninja:

I've spent a lot recently, here are two of the cheaper items. ::ninja:

I couldn't resist this. At first, I thought there was a trefoil to the left of the crown, which would have made things very interesting.

HenryVI3.jpg

HenryVI4.jpg

Henry VI Annulet Issue Groat of London.

------

This was another one I couldn't ignore. Not an area I tend to look at.

Sceat1.jpg

Sceat2.jpg

Series K Sceatta, Type 32a. Spink 803C.

Looks like pretty pure silver for the second one. How debased are the coins you typically come across?

Well, the sceat dates to around about 730 and so it is fairly unusual for it to be of good silver. Generally, it is the earlier sceats (7th century) that tend to have the best silver content and then it deteriorates rapidly in the 8th century. Typically, these sceats are quite debased but the level of debasement for English coins differs throughout the reigns with some being more prolific than others, namely Coppernose a.k.a. Henry VIII.

You know when I look at pictures of these I always forget how very small they are.

The joys of supermacro :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

I could not pass on this Henry VI Groat. It's of Calais mint and is a mule between two types. The obverse is of the Annulet Issue whereas the reverse of the Rosette-Mascle Issue. Circa 1430.

HenryVIMule1.jpg

HenryVIMule2.jpg

Few new purchases.

HenVIHP1.jpg

HenVIHP2.jpg

Henry VI Halfpenny of Calais. Rosette-Mascle Issue, rather nice condition!

-------------

NicCan1.jpg

NicCan2.jpg

Henry III Longcross Penny of Canterbury. Nicole as the moneyer, class IIb.

-------------

TomEve1.jpg

TomEve2.jpg

Henry III Longcross Penny of York. Tomas as the moneyer, class IIIb.

NicLvn1.jpg

NicLvn2.jpg

Henry III Longcross Penny of London. Nicole as the moneyer, class Vc.

-------------

Aeth1-1.jpg

Aeth2-1.jpg

Aethelred II Longcross Penny, Eadpold on London.

-------------

Cnut1-1.jpg

Cnut2-1.jpg

Cnut Pointed Helmet Penny, Leofric on Hertford. Apparently one of only two known examples of this mint/moneyer combination.

Aethelred II Longcross Penny, Eadpold on London.

Cnut Pointed Helmet Penny, Leofric on Hertford. Apparently one of only two known examples of this mint/moneyer combination.

Great coins, all around. I'm proud that I identified the Aethelred coin and the London mint without looking at the caption.

And how do you know the latter is only one of two known?

Great coins, all around. I'm proud that I identified the Aethelred coin and the London mint without looking at the caption.

I am very proud of you too George! I'll have to purchase some more to test you on :ninja:

And how do you know the latter is only one of two known?

There is only one Hertford Cnut recorded on the Early Medieval Corpus of Coin Finds and this is not that one. Also, it was Spink who stated that it is the second known, and they have very extensive records.

There is only one Hertford Cnut recorded on the Early Medieval Corpus of Coin Finds and this is not that one. Also, it was Spink who stated that it is the second known, and they have very extensive records.

Ok. I was just curious. I am always interested in how numismatists care about sample sizes.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a few pieces that were once part of the "Our Royal Sovereigns" set which comprises of seventy sterling silver medals plated in 22-carat gold. Albeit commercial, I did like the representations of the busts of these Anglo-Saxon monarchs.

Offa.jpg

Wiglaf.jpg

Ludica.jpg

Ecgfrith.jpg

Ecgbert.jpg

Neat! The Alfred portrait isn't too much different from the style used on some late Roman pieces.

Many Anglo-Saxon pieces built upon Roman designs.

You can see it here too: http://historiccoinage.com/helmet.html