YeOldeCollector's Olde Purchases

YeOldeCollector

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed, I do have plenty of coins from Northumbria which are of a similar age but decent portraits of Archbishops of Canterbury are hard to come by.

As for the pellet, well the significance is that it means it is an unrecorded die. Very few coins of this moneyer had pellets on, if they did they were either side of the portrait. This coin only has the one pellet but it is not on the obverse. Unusual to say the least. Might technically be a new sub-type as the coins with a pellet each side of the bust is a sub-type so a type with a pellet to the left of the monogram could also be a sub-type.

• 3 weeks later...

Three new ones today.

229473380_o.jpg

229473478_o.jpg

Not my normal monarch but, nonetheless, a good coin. Henry VI Halfgroat, Calais mint, Rosette-Mascle Issue. 1430-1.

229472993_o.jpg

229473086_o.jpg

Edward I Penny, Canterbury mint, scarce Class 4e. Error as reverse reads CIVI TAS CTO(R/N) TOR.

229473188_o.jpg

229473276_o.jpg

Edward I Penny, York mint, scarce Class 3e with the cross on breast. Not easily seen but is there.

That is the strongest, straightest cross I've seen on these coins. Excellent!

I like the flower (a rose?)

Many thanks George, this is much later than my usual focus but I could not resist as it ties in with several of my other Henry VI coins.

As for the flower, the motif in the centre of the reverse is, in fact, a quatrefoil.

Many thanks Steve, they are nice coins but I might be parting with the Henry VI soon as needs must, let me know if you're interested.

230918741_o.jpg

230917678_o.jpg

Elizabeth I Sixpence. Scarce 'large flan' type of 1561. m.m. pheon. Large bust with hair swept back and rose behind.

I am of the opinion that the obverse is better than the example shown in Spink 2009, #2559. The coin really does look much better in hand, especially when it catches the light.

Not often do you see these with no clipping either.

Bought three and am really liking them!

232833912_o.jpg

232833966_o.jpg

Aethelred II Longcross penny. Aethelric on Bath, rare mint.

232834040_o.jpg

232834010_o.jpg

Cnut Shortcross penny. Ada on Huntingdon, rare mint.

232833798_o.jpg

232833858_o.jpg

Henry II Tealby penny. Willem on Bury St Edmunds. Scarce in this condition. Ex Eaglen.

Aethelred II Longcross penny. Aethelric on Bath, rare mint.

What does "Aethel" mean?

Henry II Tealby penny. Willem on Bury St Edmunds. Scarce in this condition. Ex Eaglen.

I wouldn't call this coin very well-struck but you imply it's not a bad strike. Why does it seem like part of the design has been flattened or beaten? It's almost as if the king is sinking and only parts of his face are showing above the surface.

George,

The Tealby above is excellent in comparison to the general Tealby/Cross and Crosslet pennies were exceptionally poorly struck. It was not until Henry II introduced the Shortcross coinage did things improve dramatically. Tealby coinage was poor dies, low quality workmanship and rushed. Blanks slipped off dies, dies cracked and moneyers could not really be bothered as it was all rushed to be a quick recoinage.

Here is one that I sold recently: http://www.historiccoinage.com/shop.php?ac...full&id=272

Have a look at a few others offered by various sellers:

1f45_1.JPG

009936.jpg

Ethelred means noble in council whereas Unrede means without council. He was called Aethelred the Unrede (often wrongly written as Unready) because although his actual name meant 'Good Council' he actually had a 'Bad Council' and so he was called 'Aethelred the Unrede'.

Æþelræd = Old English for good council and Unræd is Old English for bad council.

So Aeth means noble, well, good etc...

Aethelwulf, another name you might have heard of, means 'Noble Wolf'.

Well I know that Rica means ruler and so 'Good Ruler' which would tie in to the King Aethelrics which came before him such as Aethelric King of Deira and Aethelric King of Bernicia. Although the moneyer Aethelric would have been of noble status, I am unsure as to why he would deserve such a name. It makes me think that his parents, well father, would have been of even more noble status.

A few of my many purchases today, have not had time to identify and/or photograph them yet so here are some of my favourites.

235633254_o.jpg

235633317_o.jpg

Edward I Farthing, London, Class 9b.

235633001_o.jpg

235633112_o.jpg

William I Paxs Penny, Wulfgaet on Gloucester.

00143q00.jpg

Coenwulf Tribrach type penny. Moneyer is BABBA. Fairly rare coin, Ex Patrick Dinn and Ex Baldwin\'s.

235633577_o.jpg

235633705_o.jpg

image05414.jpg

Burgred Lunette penny, moneyer is Ethelwulf. I find the obverse very stunning.

235633417_o.jpg

Last, but by no means least!, Alfred the Great penny. Portrait penny, moneyer is Heremod. Been wanting a decent Alfred for a while so am really glad to pick up this one.

Many thanks gentlemen. I am most happy with my newest acquisitions!

These new purchases will restrict me from buying much for a while though... :ninja:

Various new purchases here.

238450591_o.jpg

238450673_o.jpg

Tealby, A2 or B3.

----

238450764_o.jpg

238450838_o.jpg

Tealby, Nicol on Norwich. C.

----

238450920_o.jpg

238451001_o.jpg

Tealby, Hosbert on Winchester. A.

----

238451067_o.jpg

238451136_o.jpg

Tealby, Siwate on Thetford. A2.

----

238452574_o.jpg

238452736_o.jpg

Henry VI, Rosette-Mascle Groat of Calais.

----

238451232_o.jpg

238451370_o.jpg

Henry VI, Annuley Groat of Calais.