CoinPeople.com

Lincoln cents

corkykile

No pic for this, just a couple of questions for comments.

Lincoln cents, especially the latest ones, seem to have more than one kind of finish.

If course, there are the beautiful cameos. Then there are the 'satin' and 'polished' versions... or am I seeing things, again?

(watch it roaddevil and dustin... I have a strange feeling what you two are going to say... :ninja:

Lately I have found in the 1990's both kinds of surfaces, and some with one style on the obverse and the other style on the reverse.

I am curious if these cents are suppose to be satin or brilliant on both surfaces, or can they be mixed?

Are they error coins... not as we know them, but errors the mint produced when trying to produce perfect coins for mint uncirculated sets?

And, what are 'white Lincolns'? I have some that are very very pale in color... do you think this is what is being advertised as 'white'?

Corky

(watch it roaddevil and dustin... I have a strange feeling what you two are going to say...

eheheh i get wat u were thinkin ;) actually its ur lucky day xD i was just checkin this list before i take a nap tryin to get the song "footloose" out of my head ;)!!!!! gahh its impossible :ninja:;) anyway heres the site xP

http://www.coinfacts.com/small_cents/cents...al_reverse.html hope it helps u :D i cant think straight right know ;) cause its 8.47 am xD an cause of the song stuck in my head xO!!!!! ill reread ur post later an c if i have any info :D but i did read somethin bout satin in the site so if ur up 2 it check it out :D good luck hope u get wat u want :wub: good night/mornin :D

Large quantities of Aluminum and Bronze-clad Steel 1974 Cents were produced, but most were destroyed. Both are now illegal to own.

1974-D

Approximately 10 examples were reported to have been struck in Aluminum!

1974-S

66 1975 Cents were struck in Aluminum

whoa!!!! i didnt know this!!!

well corky ive found some 2006 and 2007 lincolns that might be proof but i havent found a white one..... id love to see the white one sounds neat!!!! eh sry corky too tired to be fun lol might be later..

read somethin bout satin in the site so if ur up 2 it check it out :ninja: good luck hope u get wat u want ;) good night/mornin ;)

Hi RD,

I checked the site and did not find exactly the same subject.

I have found on ebay someone selling 'satin finish', as if it is so so rare. If so, I have rarer ones than that seller ever saw.

No, I am not saying these cents I have are rare, but curiousity is one of my motivators, and I have difficulty going forward in my hobby until I get plausible answers.

However, I went to Ken Potter's site and sent him email asking the same overall question.

I still think... (as my grandfather would have said, "there you go again, working without tools") that the cents are actually rejects for a higher calling, such as perfect mint proof and mint silver proof sets.

In this case, I doubt if the coins would be worth any premium if they are acknowledged as imperfect for perfect sets.

Corky

but i havent found a white one

Hi Dustin,

I actually have quite a few of these palefaced Lincolns. Soon as possible I will get some pictures taken and posted.

I am still dealing with those 12,000 plus coins that were given to me a few weeks ago. Some of the anomalies I thought were there are not really there at all, and one that I was sure I found that would be one of just a few... it is gone too. Actually I think these coins went into hiding to avoid being photographed and viewed by the public.

Things like this happen to me almost on a daily basis.

Corky

btw corky u just collect cents or us coins? or anythin u get ur hands on ;)

Well, RD, just about all kinds of coins and certain banknotes.

Believe it or not, this all started out as a way to contain the tins of US coins I had been putting aside for many years.

You know, wheats of all sorts, 81 and earlier Lincoln memorials, bi-centennial quarters, a few 2$ bills I had received, and some Canadian coins that wind up in the change we receive.

The big challenge were the pennies... I got myself a wonderful Dansco album and have been adding to its demands.

I started three penny albums for my three grand daughters (one was born on Sunday the 6th of August). Since then I have been trying to collect the best examples of the pennies as possible... sooooo... that got me on ebay and other sites and I started bidding and buying rolls of bank uncirculated pennies from as many years as possible.

I also started collecting US Mint silver proof sets for the girls, and the nickel sets, and the mint uncirculated.

In short, it has gotten totally out of hand and I have gotten so wound up in the whole process that I neglect my household chores... :ninja:

And, it has lead me to collecting certain banknotes. I like colorful and interesting notes, no particular country.

The main coin shop in a town about 30 miles from my home has a big bucket full of foreign coins that one can pick through and buy by the pound. Eight dollars and 50 cents U.S. per pound. This has kept me entertained for several hours.

Coinpeople has been a great way to continue my 'education' in collecting.

And, by the way, I think it is great that two young men such as you and Dustin who have such a good sense of humor give me hope that the future for our world is a little brighter than we might all think.

You both are true young gentlemen.

Corky

one was born on Sunday the 6th of August

tell her happy bday from coin ppl :D

a big bucket full of foreign coins that one can pick through and buy by the pound

no dealer here sells by the pound >_< x( thats y when im goin to holland on sept 9 ill stock up xD!!!! already collected $204.79 worth of bahraini dinars thats 77bd xD!!!!!!! an may get more soon since i dont travel until sept 9 ^_^ eheheh cant wait xP an if i have weight probs later when i fly back my mum works for the airlines so they can fix it ;) xP

Coinpeople has been a great way to continue my 'education' in collecting.

tell me bout it xD when i first came here i didnt know anythin!!!! xD now i know error names/types, wats really worth keeping an wats worth buying , etc :D

I think it is great that two young men such as you and Dustin who have such a good sense of humor give me hope that the future for our world is a little brighter than we might all think.

:ninja: ty :D i don know bout dustin >_> *whispers* i think he is a serial killer ....shhh don let him know i told u ;);) nahh dustin is gr8 ;) ^_^ just like every1 else on cp including u corky :D i think all coin collectors r peaceful xO!!!!!

but i havent found a white one

Hi Dustin,

I actually have quite a few of these palefaced Lincolns. Soon as possible I will get some pictures taken and posted.

I am still dealing with those 12,000 plus coins that were given to me a few weeks ago. Some of the anomalies I thought were there are not really there at all, and one that I was sure I found that would be one of just a few... it is gone too. Actually I think these coins went into hiding to avoid being photographed and viewed by the public.

Things like this happen to me almost on a daily basis.

Corky

well belive me if i was close id help ya ,you buy the beer and ill bring the chips n hot wings and roaddevil u better cool it lol you wont get a package from me lol jkin and thanks for the comment corky dont like to spend money i save and ill be picking up pop cans before ill sell anything!!

Any word from Ken Potter on what your coin is? I'd still love to see a picture if you can get one for us.

I thought I sent an answer on either this or the error section... hmmmm.

I took some pictures today and need to get them from camera to cp.

Will work on that tomorrow... had the grandkid all day... very tired.

I cut and pasted the note from Mr. Potter here for you:

"There were no intentional differences in finish in 1992 however, differences in the appearance are inherent to the minting process. As a die ages, it begins to deteriorate and the smooth mirror-like fields, etc., slowing lose there mirrors and take in many flow lines until the surface looks like an orange peel.

Some folks think these later stage coins are satin finish when they are not.

thanks!"

He was quite gracious in answering this stranger's question! :ninja:

Archived