CoinPeople.com

Interesting Finds in recent Bulk lot purchases

Bluesfil

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1883/1383 Hawaii 1/4 dollar - just found this in next lot I looked at.

My first Hawaiian coin - its holed but I like it

As I am primarily an error and variety collector I like the broken 8

1883_1383HawaiiQuarterDollarObv.jpg

1883_1383HawaiiQuarterDollarRev.jpg

I through this one in because itis such an unusual denomination - 9 Piastres

Not much of a coin but definitely unusual

1901Cyprus9PiastreObv.jpg

1901Cyprus9PiastreRev.jpg

1933 Czech 25 haleru - appears to be a 1 year type

Yes, unless you want to spend a three to four digit amount for the 1932 issue. :ninja: Seems that after 1933 they made/used the 20 haleru denomination again instead of the "quarter". And agreed, that reverse has a very interesting design!

Christian

Amazing design isn't it, Pirate hat, cannons etc

Bluesfil, this has nothing to do with pirates.

It is actually a Phrygian Cap, which symbolizes Liberty. The Phrygian Cap is a common device on coins issued by the revolutionary republics of the Americas which began seizing their independence from their European colonial masters, beginning with the US against the British and followed by Latin America in 1810 and later years against the Spanish.

Bluesfil, this has nothing to do with pirates.

It is actually a Phrygian Cap, which symbolizes Liberty. The Phrygian Cap is a common device on coins issued by the revolutionary republics of the Americas which began seizing their independence from their European colonial masters, beginning with the US against the British and followed by Latin America in 1810 and later years against the Spanish.

Thanks for that Grivna - my apologies for the ignorance of the Phrygian Cap - interesting read on that link and as long as I am still learning something new everyday I'm happy.

Thanks for that Grivna - my apologies for the ignorance of the Phrygian Cap - interesting read on that link and as long as I am still learning something new everyday I'm happy.

No need to apologize, we all have much to learn (which is what numismatics is really all about). It sounds to me like you've got your head on straight. :ninja:

I wish my bulk world lots had some interesting things like those.

Don't worry. :ninja: The Phrygian Cap can of course be found on various non-American (primarily French) coins too, including relatively recent ones. Now whether such coins can be found in bulk lots ...

Christian

Don't worry. :ninja: The Phrygian Cap can of course be found on various non-American (primarily French) coins too, including relatively recent ones. Now whether such coins can be found in bulk lots ...

Christian

I wasn't necessarily referring to that one in particular. Pretty much the entire thread of coins.......

I need to find a new source for bulk coins. My first one was heavy on British pennies, the last one was heavy on coins from the Caribbean.

Bulk lots are fun. I like buying them just to see the different coins, trouble is, what do you do with them now?

I give some to my son, or other YNs, I trade some away to others who would find some of them difficult to use, and the rest seem to pile up. :ninja: My last source is offering them again at a great per lb rate, so I think I'll get another 20 or so. I'd really love to get my hands on one of those Bundesbank bags, just for fun. And not one of those ebay guys that sells 1/2 pound for $7.95 + shipping or whatever.

I bought one of the Bundesbank bags back a few years ago. I still haven't made my way all the way through it. I haven't been able to find a dealer anymore that carries the 10 Kilo bags.

Still going through the 12.5 Kilo box - ran into this one which I am having trouble identifying.

It appears to be a 1699 Sicilian coin of Charles 11. It is copper and the reverse isn't too bad given its age.

I have checked Krause for Sicily and also Naples/Savoy but no luck so far

1699SiciliaeObv.jpg

1699SiciliaeRev.jpg

Still wading my way through - here's few more that I really like the designs plus a Russian 20 Kopek from 1936

This one took some identifying - It's from the German state of United Nassau - 1863 1 Kreuzer

1863UnitedNassau1KreuzerObv.jpg

1863UnitedNassau1KreuzerRev.jpg

1883 French 5 centimes

1883France5CentimesObv.jpg

1883France5CentimesRev.jpg

Nice 1929 Estonian 1 Sent

1929Estonia1SentObv.jpg

1929Estonia1SentRev.jpg

1924 Lebanon 2 Piastre

1924Lebanon2PiastresObv.jpg

1924Lebanon2PiastresRev.jpg

1936 Russia 20 Kopek