CoinPeople.com

Interesting Finds in recent Bulk lot purchases

Bluesfil

I bought a few bulk lots of world coins and have pulled out some nice and some quite interesting coins.

One of my interests in numismatics is the diversity different designs and the Haiti and Solomon Island coins were astonishing to my eye.

I find getting the bulk lots provides a good deal of fun as well as some serious effort in tracking down coins - particular some of the North African and Arabic issues

There are a couple here I couldn't identify and I'd appreciate any help given.

Enjoy

Phil

1814HaitiANXI25CentimeObv.jpg

1814HaitiANXI25CentimeRev.jpg

Quick Note: I had identified the Haiti coin but did not know about the counterfeits - thanks SYZYGV. Amazing design isn't it, Pirate hat, cannons etc

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coin from the Dutch Province of Utrecht - one of the original 7 signatories to the Peace Treaty with Spain in 1721.

1724UtrechtDuitObv.jpg

1724UtrechtDuitRev.jpg

Coin I haven't been able to identify as yet

1718UnidentifiedObv.jpg

1718UnidentifiedRev.jpg

Another Coin I haven't been able to identify as yet

UnknownNo2Obv.jpg

UnknownNo2rev.jpg

I bought a few bulk lots of world coins and have pulled out some nice and some quite interesting coins.

One of my interests in numismatics is the diversity different designs and the Haiti and Solomon Island coins were astonishing to my eye.

I find getting the bulk lots provides a good deal of fun as well as some serious effort in tracking down coins - particular some of the North African and Arabic issues

There are a couple here I couldn't identify and I'd appreciate any help given.

Enjoy

Phil

1814HaitiANXI25CentimeObv.jpg

1814HaitiANXI25CentimeRev.jpg

Looks like Haiti, Western Republic, KM#12.2 25 centimes silver, 20-21 mm. AN XI = 1814 VG-5.50 VF-18.50

Krause has a notation that silver-washed brass and copper counterfeits are sometimes seen.

Another Coin I haven't been able to identify as yet - third one

UnknownNo3Obv.jpg

UnknownNo3Rev.jpg

Dutch coin from World War II occupation period - the Dutch Royal family was in exile in England and the coinage did not dispay the Coat of Arms

1942HollandOccupation1centObv.jpg

1942HollandOccupation1centRev.jpg

Belgian coin from World War II occupation period - the Belgian Royal family stayed - some coinage did not display the Coat of Arms

1944BelgiumWW2Occupn2francObv.jpg

1944BelgiumWW2Occupn2francRev.jpg

Solomon Islands - remarkable image on reverse of the 10 cents

2000SolomonIslands10CentsRev.jpg

2000SolomonIslands10CentsObv.jpg

Until I came across this coin I had never heard of the British Caibbean Territories Eastern Group. Still don't know where they are

1955BritCaribbeanTerrEastGroup25CentsRev.jpg

1955BritCaribbeanTerrEastGroup25Centsobv.jpg

Nice Grade New Zealand Penny from 1964 - always liked the design of the reverse

1964NZPennyObv.jpg

1964NZPennyRev.jpg

Pope Pius XI 1934 Issue - almost medal like - the saint's image is really crisply struck and has survived well to turn up in Australia 70 years later

1934VaticanState10CObv.jpg

1934VaticanState10CRev.jpg

This one is a lovely coin - Krause has Moroccan Essais issues and mentions an issue with no date. I am assuming this is it because the picture for E11 in Krause has a date circled on the reverse

MoroccoEssais1FrancNoDate.jpg

MoroccoEssais1FrancNoDateRev.jpg

This one I included because it is a prime example of simple coin design even down to the minimalist legend on the obverse

1940Malaya1CentObv.jpg

1940Malaya1CentRev.jpg

Another Coin I haven't been able to identify as yet

Not a coin in my opinion. The symbol on one side looks like the logo of a German bank http://www.dresdner-bank.de/dresdner-bank/...chen-de-jpg.jpg but I suppose this combination of a triangle and a hexagon is older. :ninja: The other side shows the astrological Sagittarius sign, both as a symbol (above) and depiction (below). Maybe a medal from a zodiac series?

Christian

This one I included for fun - just a token at the bottom of the box

GermanBeerHallTokenObv.jpg

GermanBeerHallTokenRev.jpg

Couple of Hawaiian Tourist Dollars that were quite impressive

HawaiiTouristDollar.jpg

HawaiiTouristDollarRev.jpg

Couple of Hawaiian Tourist Dollars that were quite impressive - the second one

HawaiiTourstDollarNo2.jpg

HawaiiTourstDollarNo2Rev.jpg

Not a coin in my opinion. The symbol on one side looks like the logo of a German bank http://www.dresdner-bank.de/dresdner-bank/...chen-de-jpg.jpg but I suppose this combination of a triangle and a hexagon is older. :ninja: The other side shows the astrological Sagittarius sign, both as a symbol (above) and depiction (below). Maybe a medal from a zodiac series?

Christian

Thanks Christian -- you may well be right.

It does not appear to have a denomination and I could not figure out what the symbol above the archer' head was. I tried Manchuria and Mongolia etc on the hope there might be something there but no luck

I liked this Tunisian coin - from period still under the French Colonial control

1917tunisie10CentimesObv.jpg

1917tunisie10CentimesRev.jpg

1933 Czech 25 haleru - appears to be a 1 year type - reverse design is iimpressive

1933Czech25HaleruObv.jpg

1933Czech25HaleruRev.jpg

Only found two older Finnish coins amongst the 10 kilos of world coins - here is one of them. Nice clean uncluttered design

Finland1937s25PenniaObv.jpg

Finland1937s25PenniaRev.jpg

1878 Peruvian 2 centavos - again a nice simple but impressive design

1878Peru2CentavosObv.jpg

1878Peru2CentavosRev.jpg

1799 GB Halfpenny - quite a collectable Australian Colonial coin , its a shame about the corrosion because otherwise it is an excellent strike and is would otherwise be gVF to near Ef

GB1799HalfpennyGeorgeIIIObv.jpg

GB1799HalfpennyGeorge111Rev.jpg

Archived