CoinPeople.com

1380-1422 charles vi french ecu'or.

Hussulo

There is only one other type of gold coin that I would want more and that is a 8 escudo minted in Lima. But I would be hard pressed to find one so centered and ornate as that. Great coin!

Not to be too nosey, but can you give us a ballpark on the value?

There is only one other type of gold coin that I would want more and that is a 8 escudo minted in Lima. But I would be hard pressed to find one so centered and ornate as that. Great coin!

Not to be too nosey, but can you give us a ballpark on the value?

was gunna ask the same thing but i didnt lol

quote name='thedeadpoint' date='Jul 9 2007, 06:36 PM' post='334153']

Gorgeous, Hussalo. Could you give us a little history behind it?

Well I don't know much history about he coin itself other than I bought it from the US, but it was minted during the hundred years' war.

"The Kings of England challenged the Kings of France in the Hundred Years' War, and rising costs of warfare fueled coinage debasement and inflation. Kings were compelled to find new sources of revenue, and Italian bankers developed more sophisticated credit. The war, however, was best remembered for the origins of English and French national consciousness, largely due to the exploits and martyrdom of Joan of Arc."

Taken from http://www.numismatics.org/exhibits/Drachm...s/case04.H.html

and

Charles V1 "The Fool" or "Mad King" (1380-1422)

"The king: Charles came to the throne in 1380, but experienced mental illness in 1392 which plagued him throughout his life. This set the stage for conflict among his uncles and other French nobility, which weakened the position of the king in the war with England. A Burgundian alliance with England led to the fall of Paris in 1418, and subsequent occupation by the English.

The times: the battle of Agincourt( 1415) was a success for English bowmen over French knights. This led to the Treaty of Troyes in 1420, which identified Henri V of England as successor to the French throne on Charles' death. This period is the French nadir in the 100 years war, with the crown withdrawn from Pairs and settled in the south at Bourges. Henri V married Charles' daughter Catherine. Their son was Henri VI of England."

Taken from "Coins of the Kings of France" http://home.eckerd.edu/~oberhot/froy.htm

It weighs 3,73 g and is 28mm wide.

It cost me $600 + $37 secure postage from the US, which I belive was a really good deal considering some of the recent prices realised:

Link to auction result at www.coinarchives.com

Link to anouther auction result at www.coinarchives.com

quote name='thedeadpoint' date='Jul 9 2007, 06:36 PM' post='334153']

Gorgeous, Hussalo. Could you give us a little history behind it?

Well I don't know much history about he coin itself other than I bought it from the US, but it was minted during the hundred years' war.

"The Kings of England challenged the Kings of France in the Hundred Years' War, and rising costs of warfare fueled coinage debasement and inflation. Kings were compelled to find new sources of revenue, and Italian bankers developed more sophisticated credit. The war, however, was best remembered for the origins of English and French national consciousness, largely due to the exploits and martyrdom of Joan of Arc."

Taken from http://www.numismatics.org/exhibits/Drachm...s/case04.H.html

and

Charles V1 "The Fool" or "Mad King" (1380-1422)

"The king: Charles came to the throne in 1380, but experienced mental illness in 1392 which plagued him throughout his life. This set the stage for conflict among his uncles and other French nobility, which weakened the position of the king in the war with England. A Burgundian alliance with England led to the fall of Paris in 1418, and subsequent occupation by the English.

The times: the battle of Agincourt( 1415) was a success for English bowmen over French knights. This led to the Treaty of Troyes in 1420, which identified Henri V of England as successor to the French throne on Charles' death. This period is the French nadir in the 100 years war, with the crown withdrawn from Pairs and settled in the south at Bourges. Henri V married Charles' daughter Catherine. Their son was Henri VI of England."

Taken from "Coins of the Kings of France" http://home.eckerd.edu/~oberhot/froy.htm

It weighs 3,73 g and is 28mm wide.

It cost me $600 + $37 secure postage from the US, which I belive was a really good deal considering some of the recent prices realised:

Link to auction result at www.coinarchives.com

Link to anouther auction result at www.coinarchives.com

:ninja: that would take me along time to save that kind of money!!!

That is a great deal on that coin! Considering it's condition, age, and the bit of gold, you made a great purchase, congrats!

That is a great deal on that coin! Considering it's condition, age, and the bit of gold, you made a great purchase, congrats!

That's a PITTANCE! WOW. Seriously I don't understand how some coins (specifically many proof issues from the first half of the 20th C for example) with mintages <20000 aren't asking for exorbitant prices. You'd think there are 20,000 out there trying to find one.

$600... wow. Even if I didn't have the spending power at the moment I know I could get a nice loan from a parent because even they'd see the value in such a magnificent piece too.

Archived