CoinPeople.com

Morgan VAM's

1900-O VAM-21 Near Date, High O 21 III2 5 - C3l (Near Date, High O) (190) I-2 R-3 Date set further left than normal. Open 9. Some show high die crack through tops of ED STATES OF.

945694.jpg

1900 O

VAM 8 O over O over CC shifted left and rust pitting at mint mark (Top 100 VAM)

921212.jpg

1900 s

vam 15 S mint mark set right

926834.jpg

VAM 4 Low Date

909131.jpg

VAM 48 Quadrupled Stars, Wreath Bow Die Gouge (This is one of the mistaken pictures on VAM World This is under the Morgan section. But shows a Peace Dollar. ) BTW note sent for update. (Edit: It has been updated)

924757.jpg

Well, thats it on VAMS I have for right now. I'll add others in as I get them.

Most VAMS do not go for a premium unless listed in the Redbook or a Hot 50 Or Top 100. Even those may not have a premium. But they do add an interesting aspect to collecting Morgans.

A little last info on VAM's

They are the result of obverse and reverse die marriages. Several dies were used in the minting process. Through polishing, gouges, die doubling, placement of mint mark, etc there are differences. Some also may be changed during the striking process. An example is a die crack. Most die cracks do not receive a VAM since this is normal die wear. But some may have references to them as identifiers. When whole sections of die come off (Or break) this may qualify as a VAM Such as a 1887 P Donkey tail or a VAM 1A which was a progression from a VAM 1 normal die.

Well, thats it on VAMS I have for right now. I'll add others in as I get them.

Most VAMS do not go for a premium unless listed in the Redbook or a Hot 50 Or Top 100. Even those may not have a premium. But they do add an interesting aspect to collecting Morgans.

A little last info on VAM's

They are the result of obverse and reverse die marriages. Several dies were used in the minting process. Through polishing, gouges, die doubling, placement of mint mark, etc there are differences. Some also may be changed during the striking process. An example is a die crack. Most die cracks do not receive a VAM since this is normal die wear. But some may have references to them as identifiers. When whole sections of die come off (Or break) this may qualify as a VAM Such as a 1887 P Donkey tail or a VAM 1A which was a progression from a VAM 1 normal die.

Does this look like a Micro O

Coins_1.jpg

Its slanted to the right. I will try to get a better picture.

Coins_3__2_mintmark_.jpg

Thanks I'm still adding coins I already have. Just not ID'ed. I tossed in a couple Carson City's. I can only handle so much at a time. I need to get all the updates to the Allen/Mallis book. Too much stuff missing and mistakes on the vamworld site.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going thru my coins closer now. So I've posted a few more from my original posting. Some I have not completely id'ed yet and haven't posted. A bunch I have not even started looking at. I'm still in the 1878 to 1882 group. And not finished with them. I also am trying to verify several. I had mis-id'ed the 1878 s as a vam 2. (My book is 1976 version with no updates. ) I have found out its a VAM 19A late die state. (The die had been re-polished and metal removed) I'm also going to start adding some close ups of some of them. I've started to help post pictures at vamworld. I hate 1878, 1879, 1921. :ninja: Just too many vams to go thru, it can drive you crazy. ;) So far I have to take about 50 shots to get 5 to 10 decent ones. I opened up an account on flickr so I could post single coin sets. Here is a set of the 1878 s vam 19A. This is a set on a 1882 s with full doubled date. Originally thought it was a vam 28 but now I'm not sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Another 1884 O VAM 16 Very Far Date

909121.jpg

Close up with lines showing spacing. Note the line coming off the 1 is lined up right on the line of Very far date. Any more to the left and it would be a far date.

1884Ovam16.jpg

One more 1884 O VAM 16 Very Far Date with die clash reverse by wing and die crack reverse upper left going over wing. Probably a later die state of the same die set.

919492.jpg

Like I said got way too many 1884 O's Coin People won't let me put that many images in one post. :ninja:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This is a template to get an idea of what to look for date position. Main thing to look at is where the base of the neck is to get a starting point. A normal date the one is aligned between the left base of the third denticle and ends with the right base of the third dentilce. Near date is between the base of the second and third denticle. Very near date is anything left of the base on the right side of the second denticle. Far date starts from the base of the third denticle to the top of the fourth denticle. Very far date is anything from the top of the fourth denticle right.

Other things to look for in the date area is doubling, die chips, dash under date over date (Remnants of another number left on a die.) and slanted date (When one end of the date is farther from the edge then the other.) .

The coin in the picture is tilted a little so don't let that confuse you.

datepos.jpg

I'll try to get up one for the mint mark position. Another key point to look at when looking for vams.

• 2 months later...

Had to post a separate reply. I hit the max amount of pictures allowed per post under the original 1878.

1878 short nock parallel arrow feathers, 7 tail feather VAM 142 Doubled 878 142 II/I 22 - B2b (Doubled 878) (179) I-3 R-4 LIBERTY doubled shifted left. Date doubled at tops of 878 and right side of 7. All stars slightly doubled. P,R,U,U, and M doubled.

945080.jpg

liberty1878.jpg

Originally thought this might be a 111. The vam site does not have a picture of it.

Archived