CoinPeople.com

Some Coins and Medals

Drusus

My Grandmother passed away recently and I was honored to be the pallbearer at her funeral. While I was there I was told my grandmother had quite a stash of old coins and medals. I have spent much of my time since trying (with the help of other friendly collectors) to attribute them. I will post some of the more interesting ones here to show. I did not get the best of photographs of some them as I did not have the best set-up.

philansmedal.jpg

the front says: the youth is the time of the seed

back says: century celebration of the Philanthropins

Bottom near rim: "For Elightenment and Humanity"

The Philanthropin was a jewish school in Frankfurt /main that existed from 1804 to 1942 when it was closed down. This medal is celebrating its 100th year.

baden01.jpg

Civitas Aurelia Aquensis - This is the Roman name for a german settlement, modern day Baden-Baden, a town in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is located on the western foothills of the Black Forest, on the banks of the Oos river. The name was given to it by Alexander Severus it seems.

The town was named Baden in the Middle Ages. From the 14th century down to the end of the 17th, it was known Baden as it was the residence of the margraves of Baden, to whom it gave its name. In 1931, the town of Baden-Baden was officially given its double name (a short form for "Baden in Baden", Baden in the state of Baden).

MDCCC - LVIII / LXXXIII: 1858 / 83

This is the Grande Duke Frederick I of Baden and his wife Princess Louise of Prussia.

The significance of the date was unclear but it was suggested that it was possibly a 25th anniverary of rule medal:

Apparently this fellow took over for his brother Ludwig II. You see, Ludwig II had a "mental problem" and at one point was deemed unfit for rule. Herein lies the problem. Different places give different dates for the handover as I'm guessing there probably wasn't a specific date when this happened, but it probably just sort of happened over time.

Anyways, sources seem to cite 1856-1858 as the time he took over.

1883 would be 25 years after 1858

497px-FrederikIB.jpg

leipzigmedal.jpg

This is a medal commemorating the 100th year anniversary of the battle of nations 1813-1913 (what the memorial on the coin was built to commemorate...the defeat of napoleon in 1813.)

Obverse: deutscher patriotenbund (German Patriot Federation)

volkerschlacht denkmal bei leipzig 1913 (peoples war monument in leipzig)

Reverse: Der Herr ist der rechte Kriegsmann, Herr ist sein Name (The Lord is the right man of war, Lord is his name)

the memorial is the Voelkenschlachtdenkmal: among the world's most massive war memorials that also has a history of German nationalism and pride. Commemorating the 1813 defeat of Napoleon by the Prussians and allies, this memorial was also the site of one of Hitler's early Nazi rallies. The rotunda interior sports massive sculptures of barbarian warriors with their heads bowed toward a memorial in the center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%B6lkerschlachtdenkmal

It was noted that it is not only the 100th year after the battle of nations but one year before WWI began

This was of interest to me as a Notgeld collector...she had several notgeld coins, this is one of them from the Westfalen series of which I have several examples already with the Von Stein portrait of whom I have posted a write up earlier here:

westfalen100.jpg

radiatedime.jpg

My mother and most of my family is from Chatanooga Tenn and Rossville Georgia (right across the border)...these Irradiated Dimes are from the Oakridge Museum of Atomic Energy which is very close to where they lived...quick little write up on what these are if you havent seen one:

Back in the days of atomic ignorance, radiation and atomic energy were portrayed as harmless and fun. Those were the days when shoe stores had an x-ray machine called a Fluoroscope equipped with viewers so that you could see how the shoes fit your feet. Those were gone when it was discovered that these devices, cute as they were, were toasting little kids.

The encased irradiated dimes were another example of "radiation fun", though these are not dangerous to people, they are collectors items and are mildly dangerous to your wallet if you decide you want to collect them.

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/m...toes/dimes.htm

"One of the most popular exhibits in the American Museum of Atomic Energy is a "dime irradiator." To date, more than 250,000 dimes have been irradiated, encased in plastic and returned to their owners as souvenirs. The irradiator works as follows: A mixture of radioactive antimony and beryllium is enclosed in a lead container. Gamma rays from the antimony are absorbed by the beryllium atoms and a neutron is expelled by the beryllium atom in the process.

These neutrons, having no electrical charge, penetrate silver atoms in the dime. Instead of remaining normal silver-109, they become radioactive silver-110. After irradiation, the dime is dropped out through a slot in the lead container and rests momentarily before a Geiger tube so that its radioactivity may be demonstrated. It is then encased in the souvenir container. Radioactive silver, with a half-life of 22 seconds, decays rapidly to cadmium-110 (In 22 seconds, half of the radioactivity in each dime is gone, in another 22 seconds half the remainder goes, and so on until all the silver-110 has become cadmium). Only an exceedingly minute fraction of the silver atoms have been made radioactive."

my grandfather died early of cancer...hmmmm...

I will post more tomorrow...this thread will help me get all the info organized into one post for each coin or medal as compared to the other thread I used to gather info which is rather long with info in multiple posts.

Never heard of a irradiated dime before ;) Great write up on it thanks Drusus :ninja: I like the defeat of Napolion medal that is so Tutonic ;) Looking forward to seeing the rest.

;)

baden02.jpg

Obv: Leopold Grosherzog Von Baden (Leopold Grand Duke of Baden)

Rev: fur fleiss und sittlichkeit (for diligence and morality)

Grosherzoglich badische garnisons schule (Grand Ducal garrison school of Baden?)

medal by W. Doell

gardeningmedal.jpg

Obv: AUGUSTA DEUTSCHE KAISERIN KONIGIN VON PREUSSEN (Augusta German Empress Queen of Prussia)

Rev: INTERNATIONALE GARTENBAU-AUSSTELLUNG ZU COLN 1875 (international Gardening Exposition at Coln [Cologne] 1872)

UNTER DEM PROTECTORAT I.M. DER KAISERIN UND KONIGIN UND S.K.K.H. DES KRONPRINZEN (Under the Protectorate of Her Majesty the Empress and Queen and of His Imperial and Royal Highness the Crown Prince.)

It seems Princess Augusta Louisa Katherine of Saxe-Weimar and Queen of Prussia and German Empress (September 30, 1811 - January 7, 1890), wife of Wilhelm I, had a gardening party and minted up some commemorative medals. The Crown Prince mentioned is Frederick III

388px-Augusta_von_Preussen.jpg

medal02.jpg

medal01.jpg

forchte gott ehret den konig (Fear God Honor the King)

Thue Recht Schev Niemand (Do Right the law dreads no one)

no date on this one unfortunately

To me this is one of the more interesting ones simply because it is a medal issued for a specific person:

alexcarlherzog.jpg

Obv: Alex(ander) Carl Herzog u(nd) Friederike Herzogin u(nd) Mitregentin v(on) Anhalt (Alexander Carl Duke and Friederike Duchess and Co-Regent of Anhalt)

Rev: Für Verdienst um Kunst und Wissenschaft an Caroline Bardua 1857 ( For merits in arts and science to Caroline Bardua 1857)

This a medal awarded to the artist Caroline Bardua, one of her works shown below. Depicted on the medal is Duke Alexander Carl and Duchess Friederike who was the last monarch of Anhalt-Bernburg.

Bardua_Schopenhauer.jpg

medal4a.jpg

medal4b.jpg

Obv. felicitas populorum - C.S.

Rev. Diu Exoptata Coniunctio - Inmemor: Foderis Connubia Lis Inter Fridericum Land GR: Hass: & Maxiam Princip Magnae Brit : Consumat : Cassel. D. 28. iunii. 1740

Submisse Offert Senatus Neo Hanovien:

E.K.

This medal is in memory of exchanging connuptial vows between Friedrich II of Hesse-Cassel (Fridericum Landgr. Hass) and princess Mary, daughter of the British king George II (Mariam Princip. Magnae Brit.). One is the British coat-of-arms The other coat-of-arms is the one from Hesse-Cassel.

The marriage took place in Cassel on June 28th 1740.

okay, here are the last of them:

catholicmedal03.jpg

catholicmedal.jpg

Obv: XXVI MARTYR IB IAPONIIS MICHAELI DE SANCTIS CONF MAIORES CAELIT HONOR ADTRIBUTI

catholicmedal2.jpg

Rev: EPISCOPIS EX ORBE UNIVERSO QUI APOSTOLICAE SEDIS IURIBUS PROPUGNATIS RE ROMANA UBIQUE DEFENSA PII IX PONT MAX DESIDERIO OBSEQUUTI EIDE M VI ID IUN AN MDCCCLXII CAELESTES HONORES SANCTIS NOVENSILIBUS DECERNENTI ADFUERE CIVES ROMANI PATRIBUS ET ADSERTORIBUS CATHOLICI NOMINIS (SMALL: B ZACCAGNINI RQ TORQ PROIT)

This is a very large silver medal, seems like it has a catholic pontif theme...maybe someone who knows latin a bit better than me can translate it better than I can...I think it is refering to Pope Puis IX...I have found other pontifical medals by an R. Zaccagnini for Puis IX.

I suppose this is a medal honoring the canonization of St. Michael de Sanctis and the 26 martyrs of Japan by pope Pius IX. The canonization took place on June 6th 1862.

this one isnt amazing or rare but nice all the same:

km2802austrianheller.jpg

An 1895 Austrian 10 Heller km2802...pretty worn, not worth much. but I like the type.

medal5a.jpg

Obv: IOS M B FURST ZU FURSTENBERG L I DEUZ ST H Z HAUSENI KINZTHAL

medal5.jpg

Rev: MIT GOTT DURCHKUNST U ARBEIT - DIE GRUBE FRIED CHRIST GABS ZUR AUSBEUT IM QUARTAI CRUCIS 1790

A 1 thaler coin and is one of 806 coins of this type and date minted. This thaler is listed in Krause as Fürstenberg-Stühlingen KM#30 1 thaler. The person depicted Joseph Maria Benedikt , ruler 1783-1796. It is on the coin: IOS(ephus). M(aria). B(enedikt). FURST ZU FURSTENBERG ...

hammered2a.jpg

Obv: Edward the Confessor Trefoil Quadrilateral type (Spink Coins of England numbe 1174, North number 817)

hammered1b.jpg

Rev: PVLFPINE ON LVN (Wulfwine, London)

Archived