CoinPeople.com

Possibly the largest shipwreck find

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/18/treasure.ship.ap/index.html

Pretty cool. It's going to be a controlled release into the market over the next several years to keep prices high.

Interesting side note, this is the only publicly traded shipwreck hunting company. Sounds like their business model is paying off.

I hate to be cynical but after Bush, Iraq, ... but

The company doesn't show the coins or identify the wreck by name.

Is this a scam?

:ninja:

It is rather easy to be cynical these days huh? Maybe they should get Dick Cheney to hide them out, he does a pretty good job of hiding himself.

I don't think they will release the name of the ship until they're done with the salvage operations nor will they start to show the coins until they've been conserved (that's cleaned to you & me).

Spain: Tampa company's coin discovery "suspicious"

The Spanish government is investigating if a crime was committed by a U.S. company that said it had found $500 million worth of coins in an Atlantic Ocean shipwreck, according to news reports today.

Odyssey Marine Exploration, based in Tampa, revealed on Friday they had found hundreds of thousands of Colonial-era silver and gold coins in the wreck, but didn’t release details about the ship or the wreck site, citing security concerns.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...1/70520022/1075

Spain: Tampa company's coin discovery "suspicious"

The Spanish government is investigating if a crime was committed by a U.S. company that said it had found $500 million worth of coins in an Atlantic Ocean shipwreck, according to news reports today.

Odyssey Marine Exploration, based in Tampa, revealed on Friday they had found hundreds of thousands of Colonial-era silver and gold coins in the wreck, but didn’t release details about the ship or the wreck site, citing security concerns.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...1/70520022/1075

That is indeed suspicious, but the old rule is possession is 9/10ths of the law, and I am sure if indeed they got it from Spanish waters they have a come and get it attitude about it.

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens:

Television news channels now report that the Spanish government is suing the "treasure finders".

Also one television news report showed what looked like bags of coins and a close up of a US liberty head gold coin.

The plot thickens:

Television news channels now report that the Spanish government is suing the "treasure finders".

Also one television news report showed what looked like bags of coins and a close up of a US liberty head gold coin.

A US gold coin, wouldn't that quite possibly negate Spanish claims of it being the "HMS Sussex"? as the Spanish are claiming?

Here's a summary of the NBC news article.

It has a photograph of the coins showing US liberty head coins.

Spain makes court claim over sunken treasure

Florida firm found shipwreck laden with colonial-era gold, silver coins

May 21: NBC's Michael Okwu reports on the treasure hunters who found 17 tons of gold and silver coins from a colonial ship.

TAMPA, Fla. - The Spanish government has filed claims in U.S. federal court over a shipwreck that a Florida firm found laden with colonial-era treasure, an attorney said Thursday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18958738

tdy_okwu_treasure_070521.300w.jpg

The plot thickens II

Spain To Seize U.S. Treasure Hunter Ships

Court Reportedly Orders Florida Firm's Ships Detained After Disputed $500M Discovery

Government Wants American Company To Prove Ship Was Not Recovered In Spanish Waters

MADRID, Spain, June 6, 2007

A Spanish court has ordered police to capture and search two vessels belonging to a Florida firm that recently announced it had found a shipwreck in the Atlantic Ocean laden with an estimated $500 million worth of Colonial-era treasure, news reports said Tuesday.

The court in the southern port city of Cadiz instructed police to capture the vessels should they leave the British colony of Gibraltar, on Spain's southern tip, and enter Spanish waters, leading radio station Cadena SER and other media outlets reported.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/06/...in2891201.shtml

Show me the money!

I'm curious if these are colonial coins, what is that picture really from? It looks like a 10 and 20 dollar liberty head gold piece to me in that pic above. And last time I checked they weren't minted during the 16-18th century. Maybe it's that Confederate iron clad that was "lost" with all its gold, rofl. Now THAT would be some news!

• 2 weeks later...

Annoying, the link has gone... what were they anyway?

By the way there was another huge shipwreck find, at about the same time off the west coast of

England which was a pirate ship laden which gold which had been stolen from the Spanish in the Caribbean - they are giving the 'bully' back to the Spanish government..

Archived