CoinPeople.com

Coins used as planchets

belg_jos

@Banivechi

Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't stop me from hoping the 'first time lucky'-scenario unfolding before my eyes ;)

@thedeadpoint

Well, for me it's the second. I bought it for close to nothing, and already had a big offer for it, but that's one of the coins, that will stay with me, untill I'm six feet under ;)

The first one is also great. But that is more TPG-style great. A higher grade, but not a higher appeal, unless not in my eye, the place where beauty rests :ninja:

Regards,

Jos

So, you guys gave me the bug!

Today I bought a 1763 5 Kopecks, which I believe shows designs of 2 other coins underneath the main design!

If I'm not mistaken - one is the 10 Kopecks of Peter.

I will photograph and post the images tonight.

Also bought a 1789 EM 5 Kopecks from the same guy, which I believe to be an AU grade with hints of original luster showing. I hope to be able to capture that in my images, as well.

~Roman

Looking forward to those pictures :ninja:

I had a good hard look at some today, but didn't see any clear ones. I also saw they were quite pricy (starting with 75 euro, about $100). I will wait to buy some, untill I know them better.

Regards

Jos

I'll start with the "other" coin - it's the best-looking 5 kopecks copper I've ever seen:

Russia-1789-5kopeks.jpg

Now, for the over-struck piece:

Russia-1763-5kopeks.jpg

It looks like there's traces of "KOP..." (Kopeek?) running roughly through the middle of the previous design. That looks like a 10 Kopecks issued under Peter III in 1762. The stars, barely visible on the reverse of mine, also confirm that suspicion.

Here's the close-up of mine and the Peter III coin below.

closeup2.jpg

closeup3.jpg

00750q00.jpg

Also, there appears to be another design "bleeding through". You can see parts of a "wreath" on the reverse, as well as "...EKb" (kopeek) on the obverse. I am guessing that, before becoming 10 Kopecks under Peter III, it was a 5 Kopecks of Elizabeth I.

closeup4.jpg

closeup1.jpg

So, what do you guys think? That sounds like possible hosts?

~Roman

That's a great example. I think you're right. 3 different coins in this one.

I really have to search harder for these :ninja:

Sunday a meeting of my coinclub. Maybe there will be something to find there.

Jos

Yes Roman, yours definately is double overstruck. Most of the Peter III 10 kopeks were overstrucked Elizabeth I 5 kopeks and then it was again overstruck in the next year. Big waste of time and effort :ninja: Nice coins by the way.

That coin is one of the easiest coin to find out of overstrikes. Perhaps the next easiest is a 2 kopek coin which nornally don't cost too much. Averages around 40 dollars or less or an Anna denga, overstruck on Peter I kopeks.

The most challenging coin that I have is the Anna denga overstruck on a 1724 kopek, which is quite difficult.

Speaking of which, I actually received an email about the Chinese overstrucked coins of Korean 5 funs. It seems that it is only restricted to Chekiang and Shantung and were struck by 'private' mints (suprise suprise!)

After taking a picture of my Provincial Mexican copper 1/4 Real (San Louis Potosi), I noticed that it's also overstruck. The host appears to be 1/8 Real from Zacatecas.

I noticed random circles on the fileds, which looked suspicious and made me take a closer look at the fields. That's when I noticed an upside-down "O....AV.." (under the eagle's wings) on the obverse. There's also some lettering bleeding-through (look at 4 o'clock on obverse), which looks like "LIBER..." Also, the top "scratch" on obverse seems to contain letters, as well.

Here's the Potosi coin:

Mexico-Potosi-1867-Quart.jpg

Looking at different Octavo (1/8) Reales in Krause, I found this:

zac_octavo.jpg

I found a seller who was willing to part his collection of Chinese overstrucked coins from his personal collection on the condition that I am to further investigate about overstruck coins. That means that more infomation will pop out hopefully over time :ninja:

I am pretty suprised over the details of some of them.

This is the original coin used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150124574214

These are the overstrucked coins

5f34afs1.th.jpg

5f34cp0.th.jpg

5f33abf0.th.jpg

5f33ny8.th.jpg

5f32asz4.th.jpg

5f32cb6.th.jpg

5f31ajt7.th.jpg

5f31cp6.th.jpg

Doesn't look too pretty but it's interesting to see what happened in the past.

I found a seller who was willing to part his collection of Chinese overstrucked coins from his personal collection on the condition that I am to further investigate about overstruck coins. That means that more infomation will pop out hopefully over time :ninja:

I am pretty suprised over the details of some of them.

This is the original coin used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150124574214

These are the overstrucked coins

Doesn't look too pretty but it's interesting to see what happened in the past.

Those look really nice. Wish I had one ;)

I will try to look for them in my coinclub.

Lucky ******* ;)

I'll start with the "other" coin - it's the best-looking 5 kopecks copper I've ever seen:

Russia-1789-5kopeks.jpg

Now, for the over-struck piece:

Russia-1763-5kopeks.jpg

It looks like there's traces of "KOP..." (Kopeek?) running roughly through the middle of the previous design. That looks like a 10 Kopecks issued under Peter III in 1762. The stars, barely visible on the reverse of mine, also confirm that suspicion.

Here's the close-up of mine and the Peter III coin below.

closeup2.jpg

closeup3.jpg

00750q00.jpg

Also, there appears to be another design "bleeding through". You can see parts of a "wreath" on the reverse, as well as "...EKb" (kopeek) on the obverse. I am guessing that, before becoming 10 Kopecks under Peter III, it was a 5 Kopecks of Elizabeth I.

closeup4.jpg

closeup1.jpg

So, what do you guys think? That sounds like possible hosts?

~Roman

Very attractive examples! :ninja:;)

The Chinese overstrucked coins came in today - I wasn't really expecting what I saw today.

The original coins used are perhaps some high UNC to XF, ranging from 1893-1902. Some Korean coins today if they are left in the original form command very high prices.

The underlying high grades wouldn't be a suprise as the Chinese coins were supposely struck in Zhejiang (Chekiang) and Hubei (Hupei) from 1902-1906. Krause appearently mentioned about overstrucked coins in Zhejiang but didn't mention anything about Hubei.

I'll report the overstruck years later.

Here are some shocker Chinese overstruck 10 cash over Korean 5 fun.

China (Chekiang or Hupei) (1902-1906?) 10 cash overstruck on Korean Gaeguk 502 (1893)

924504.jpg

China Chekiang (1902-1905) 10 cash overstruck on Korean Guangmu 6 (1902) 5 fun

924505.jpg

China Hupei (1903-1906) 10 cash overstruck on Guangmu 2 (1898) 5 fun

924506.jpg

China Chekiang (1903-1906) 10 cash overstruck on Korean 5 fun, likely to be Gaeguk 501-505. (1892-1896)

924507.jpg

Few chances to see the traces of 12 kreuzer. I have 7 or 8 coins of 7 kr. 1802, different mints, but none of them seems to be overstrike :ninja:

Looks like I have more luck then ;)

austria7kreuzer1802a%20-%20overstruck.jpgaustria7kreuzer1802a%20-%20overstrucka.jpg

The legends are very easy to spot, all way round. No traces of the centerpiece though, but you don't hear me complaining ;)

Jos

• 4 months later...

Wanted to share this one with you all.

Another 7 Kreuzer 1802, but this time from the E - mint. Rarer than the A but since it was holed, I think it's still expensive.

FRANCII1.jpg

FRANCII2.jpg

It's for sale, but as I've said before, too expensive for me, in that condition.

But you got to love those traces...

Jos

Archived