CoinPeople.com
Sign in to follow this  
Johnny 1989

Silver 10p ?

Not sure if I've got luck here or not but I'm wondering if anybody could tell me if the coin on the right has an significant value. I got it change about 5-8 years ago & noticed it looked different straight away.

It seems to have polished plain areas and a frosted portait on the front & frosted lion on the back.

It seems as if it's a proof version that has escaped in error. Does anyone know if is it silver or not?

199510pA.jpg

199510pB.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated

It does look proof. There were 10p's issued as part of the 1995 proof sets but they are made using cupronickel not silver. Still a nice find.

I would agree with both of you, it looks like a proof to me. Can't help but wonder whether some little angel has got their hands on Dad's coin collection and started spending the spendables.

nice find i found a 1993 s proof penny one but its all scratched up :ninja:

nice find i found a 1993 s proof penny one but its all scratched up ;)

That's a shame ;) Unfortinately alot of 1p coins get damaged by little chavs that see them as worthless, infact an estimated 60 million 1p coins have gone missing since they were introduced in 1971 :ninja:

well that caould be blames for the melting of pennies for copper or just throwing them away :ninja:

well that caould be blames for the melting of pennies for copper or just throwing them away :ninja:

I think it's the throwing away of them (of which I see quite a few on the streets of London) and saving them in jars

here in usa its like there nothing i see people throw them all of the time :ninja: