CoinPeople.com

1835 Canadian ship token?

Today I picked up this token (sorry, no pictures until tomorrow night) out my favorites shops 1/2 off box.

The 2x2 is labeled "ND 1835 PE-101?1, Canada, 1/2 Penny Token".

Obverse: Ship with sails, British Flag. Reverse: "SHIPS, COLONIES, & COMMERCE". It looks to be made of copper.

Can someone provide me with some more information on this token? I know nothing about tokens, at all! Purchased it mainly because I liked how it looked, it was old, and the price was right.

A nice example identified as Lees 8 or Breton 122 in my 1978 Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Coins and Tokens. It is the most common variety, unfortunately all I have are 1978 prices(I am ta skint to ante up to buy a more up to date Canadian cat.

I have to say that is a lovely token, I have a few British that I pick up every now and again and I would be more than happy to find one in that condition :ninja:

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm attributing it as PE10-27 / Lees 27

Single H mintmark, British flag, round knob ampersand

Cat (which is usually on the high side) is

VF C$35

EF C$75

IMO it's at least VF30, and may grade as a EF40 (grading on colonial tokens tends to be extremely strict and conservative)

I do plan on eventually sending this one out for grading. Even if it hits the VF mark, I'm still under the book value.

It was in the bargain bin for $5. Guess my buy was a heck of a lot better than I thought.

so this seperate from the rgular charlton Catalogue, I have seen old Carlton CAtalogues that listed the tokens, I take it They do not do that anymore

There are some (earlier) editions of Charlton that list more than coins. This is simular to Krause-Mishler's SCWC, where it used to be one book until it got too big and got seperated.

Archived