CoinPeople.com

Two Roubles; Catherine II & Nicholas I

Maya

Yes, of course I can. I will need get and return the coin from the bank vault, then upload high resolution scan.

You are welcome to spend your money as you wish. My coin is not for sale.

Your tastes are your tastes. They differ from mine.

I care more about pleasing myself and my own collecting interests than I care about what some slabber (who probably knows a lot less about Russian coins than I do) says or thinks.

However, I am quite confident that (slabbed or not) there will be many people who will be thrilled to buy my coin (when the day comes that I decide to sell), even if you are not one of them. ;)

By the way, this coin which you find so unattractive was one of a handful of coins which I purchased from Randolph Zander's personal crown collection. Zander bought it (for his own collection) in 1969 from former dealer Hal Rosenberg and held onto it (after earlier selling off the bulk of his Russian collection) until I purchased it from him in 1985. :ninja:

You collect what you want and what you pleased. I am not trying to persuade you to some other direction. ;)

I only "vote" that when you buy a coin, you know EXACTLY what you are buying, authentic or not, cleaned or not, damaged or not, "no grade" or a beauty and only AFTER THAT you make your design "with your eyes opened". And if you enjoy collecting damaged Dassier Rubles - I am fine with it too. ;) I only amazed that you did care to learn that this coin has a pedigree but did not care to learn condition of coin that you purchased. Looks weird.

Regards,

WCO

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way, this coin which you find so unattractive was one of a handful of coins which I purchased from Randolph Zander's personal crown collection. Zander bought it (for his own collection) in 1969 from former dealer Hal Rosenberg and held onto it (after earlier selling off the bulk of his Russian collection) until I purchased it from him in 1985. :ninja:
Very impressive references. ;)

Very impressive references. :ninja:

Thank you. ;)

I think it is a neat coin, EF for wear and unusually well struck.

I have been collecting Russian coins for many years and, despite WCO's dismissive comments about my Dassier rouble, I know how difficult these are to find in such condition. It will be a long time before WCO sees a better one in private hands.

Why you add Memorial Ruble-"Salvage" to your profile? I would say nice coin, was cleaned before, now has nice light toning, possible gradable .One again I didn’t call your coin-"Salvage”, you did.

Mister RARENUM,

You again dissupoined me ;)

This is the coin that you called cleaned? do you want me to continue and show you real grade for it? ;)

:ninja:

1.jpg

Mister RARENUM,

You again dissupoined me ;)

This is the coin that you called cleaned? do you want me to continue and show you real grade for it? ;)

Can you send high resolution of the portrait side? Thank You. ;)

One cleaned coin from my collection- Kopeck 1718 NDZ .Can you tell me why coin is "salvage".

Coin better then in GM Collection

The CLEANED coins is SALVAGE is my own opinion, abd probably it's not that bad as Sounds, but still...

Some people can call CLEANED coins Normal, but not me, that's fine, but Inever will.

I prefer to keep less rare coin but graded high, than more rare and cleaned. JUST I hate Salvage Cars!!!!!!!! :ninja:

But I don't understand why you called my Super coin CLEANED? ;)

Can you send high resolution of the portrait side? Thank You. :ninja:

this is maximum high that i have in my computer, it can help?

People sorry to ask other than topi question.

Is this high or Low relief on the Head side? ;)

RARENUM, please don't tell me that NGC slabbed Cleaned coin ;)

2.jpg

One cleaned coin from my collection- Kopeck 1718 NDZ .Can you tell me why coin is "salvage".

This is a very rare coin in any condition. I cannot recall ever seeing another one.

It appears to be missing from both the Brekke collection and the 1932 Hess sale 210 ("Dubletten Russischer Museen").

That is an amazing coin of great rarity! ;) (even if it isn't in a slab! :ninja: )

This is a very rare coin in any condition. I cannot recall ever seeing another one.

It appears to be missing from both the Brekke collection and the 1932 Hess sale 210 ("Dubletten Russischer Museen").

That is an amazing coin of great rarity! ;) (even if it isn't in a slab! :ninja: )

"That is an amazing coin of great rarity! ;) (even if it isn't in a slab! ;) )

" ---- even if it is not in slab, even if it's cleaned, even if it's .... even... even,... even.... ----- ;)

Yes, its hard to get a "ticket" for this coin to the NGC Slab

[snip]

Bring down the price of the coins. I personally don’t care if coin was clean. Almost 90%-80% Russian coins of 18th century were cleaned and slabed by Grading companies…

And not just Russian coins ... apparently, even the numismatic department of the Smithsonian Institute in Washington was accustomed to cleaning ALL of their coins once every 20 years or so ... until it became obvious that this was really not a good thing to do (sometime early in the XXth century)!

(I don't remember exactly where I read this, but I think it was on the rec.collecting.coins newsgroup a few years ago -- is it even true?? Maybe someone else has access to verification? Thanks! :ninja: )

I always enjoy part when collectors trying to say that their junk is better junk than some other junk in some other important collection. Rare - may be. Unique - OK. But who said that junk is always cheap? :ninja: RARENUM - you have all the rights to enjoy your great rarity (rare coin you have there indeed) , but I hope you did not purchase it as Choice BU? ;)

WCO

Yes, its hard to get a "ticket" for this coin to the NGC Slab

Who cares what NGC thinks? This is a great rarity normally found in only the greatest of collections.

You can hold out for a perfect example, but you will probably never see, let alone own, such a coin.

this is maximum high that i have in my computer, it can help?

People sorry to ask other than topi question.

Is this high or Low relief on the Head side? :ninja:

RARENUM, please don't tell me that NGC slabbed Cleaned coin ;)

1. Resolution is low to see hairlines. I have to see more images from different corners.

2. NGC... slabed lightly cleaned coin better then with original toning, you better ask WCO.

I always enjoy part when collectors trying to say that their junk is better junk than some other junk in some other important collection. Rare - may be. Unique - OK. But who said that junk is always cheap? :ninja: RARENUM - you have all the rights to enjoy your great rarity (rare coin you have there indeed) , but I hope you did not purchase it as Choice BU? ;)

WCO

Perhaps you would care to show us all the MS-70 gem 18th century Russian coins you own?

This thread started on a note that sellers should inform buyers on the quality of coins that they sell, including cleaning and any other damage. I truly believe that no matter what you sell, cleaned coin or not - inform prospective buyers on quality of it. Slab is one way to do this, good description and pictures is the other way. Both ways are OK, and only what is not OK is when someone sells cleaned coin as non problem one. That's all. And I do not see why several people even trying to debate this? What is here to debate? Better Business Bureau rules to inform buyers on quality of items they purchase to protect them from overpaying, getting low quality merchandise at exuberant prices.

WCO

And not just Russian coins ... apparently, even the numismatic department of the Smithsonian Institute in Washington was accustomed to cleaning ALL of their coins once every 20 years or so ... until it became obvious that this was really not a good thing to do (sometime early in the XXth century)!

(I don't remember exactly where I read this, but I think it was on the rec.collecting.coins newsgroup a few years ago -- is it even true?? Maybe someone else has access to verification? Thanks! :ninja: )

I don't know about the Smithsonian, but I have it on good authority that Farouk took great pleasure in keeping his coins nicely shined up. ;)

1. Resolution is low to see hairlines. I have to see more images from different corners.

2. NGC... slabed lightly cleaned coin better then with original toning, you better ask WCO.

You kidding me, you trying to find CLeaning hairline on that coin? I can tell you for sure this coin NOT cleaned, and this coin SLABBED in High grade.

To me I prefer to have nice SLABBED ruble (XVIII c) in VF-35/XF, than HARSH-CLEANED in AU/MS like that one on e-bays's sale.

And again, this topic about problem that WHY people doesn/t include in description the TRUE that coin CLEANED.

And question about WHY CLEANED coin BETTER or WORST or SO-SO or BLAH BLAH than GRADED COIN it's different story.

You kidding me, you trying to find CLeaning hairline on that coin? I can tell you for sure this coin NOT cleaned, and this coin SLABBED in High grade.

To me I prefer to have nice ruble (XVIII c) in VF-35/XF, than HARSH-CLEANED in AU/MS like that one on e-bays's sale.

And again, this topic about problem that WHY people doesn/t include in description the TRUE that coin CLEANED.

And question about WHY CLEANED coin BETTER or WORST or SO-SO or BLAH BLAH than GRADED COIN it's different story.

I agree people should include description, or answer the quetions .Then some body asking reasonable questions.

I agree people should include description, or answer the quetions .Then some body asking reasonable questions.

Yeeeeeeeeeees!

That its all about!

And if somehow seller "forgot" to add description about condition, probably will be NICE to answer to the question about it. And Seller MUST to answer, there is no EXCUSES (like: Busy, sleeping, flying, cooking etc...)

Agree with WCO - if one is serious in selling coins that are worth hundreds of dollars, the sellers must be prepared to take what it needs. If a seller can't provide high resolution pictures nor slabs, decent details are required. Else why would any buyers bid or even pay any price? :ninja: You might as well buy a catalogue. This isn't a lottery or any sort.

Didn't I say something like that in post #29? ;) (or much earlier by WCO) Or everyone is just too excited to read the last few post like what I do at times ;)

I don't know about the Smithsonian, but I have it on good authority that Farouk took great pleasure in keeping his coins nicely shined up.

This seems to be true in part but I bought some Farouk coins (mostly copper) from James Randall

in 1955 and they were not cleaned, including one very nicely toned proof three kopecks of 1903.

RWJ

This seems to be true in part but I bought some Farouk coins (mostly copper) from James Randall

in 1955 and they were not cleaned, including one very nicely toned proof three kopecks of 1903.

RWJ

To RW Julian,

Did Mr. James Randall purchases and sell lot's of Russian copper coins on the Auctions or it was privet treaty . I collect Auction catalogs ,books , references, of Russian collections.

Thank You.

Archived