CoinPeople.com

Moldavia~Wallachia 3 Para 1772

Scottishmoney

I bought these today at a small coin fair here in Donets'k:

DSC02390.jpg

I approached the seller thinking he is going to try to convince me that these things are the real McCoy's, he had a lot of fakes, most of them not so nice as these. I started conversing with him about the stuff he had on his table, and he ask me, "You have an accent, where are you from? Great, I think, now I am going to get the whole these are great coins, worth every last kopek etc. But I tell him where I am from originally, and he apologizes because he thought I thought the coins were real. "No, I collect the real ones, but these are nice replicas though" I got a good deal on them and now have something that is a fairly decent representation of what these looked like when they were closer to brand new.

There were even fake Tsar Nikolai kopeks, which are so common around here that I have to wonder why you would go to the trouble. But at least this seller is telling you up front they are fakes and pricing them like fakes(sort of like a next best thing)

It's the edges that more or less condemned these specimens. I have a diagram that a member of Omnicoin sent me showing two different edge patterns, and these weren't among them. Still it's interesting to see these so I know what to avoid in the future.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the edges that more or less condemned these specimens. I have a diagram that a member of Omnicoin sent me showing two different edge patterns, and these weren't among them. Still it's interesting to see these so I know what to avoid in the future.

Indeed, that is what gave them away as fakes right off, foregoing the original mint red etc. I had to appreciate that the seller was selling them as "next best things" instead of the real thing, even when he noticed my accent. I wanted them because they look better than my originals posted prior here.

They are not that closely held, it was just that I didn't see any yesterday. Buying them online the prices are all over the place.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but as I know nothing of Ukrainian coins I am curious about the one I have:) It is a 25 kopiok 1992 with an incuse trident on the shield. I believe it is a piece struck by the British mint? Just curious if these can still be found in the change, or if they are considered scarce at all?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but as I know nothing of Ukrainian coins I am curious about the one I have:) It is a 25 kopiok 1992 with an incuse trident on the shield. I believe it is a piece struck by the British mint? Just curious if these can still be found in the change, or if they are considered scarce at all?

One of the many varieties of the 1992-1996 coinage, one that is actually a bit scarce and cannot be found in change.

• 3 months later...
The good:

moldavia.jpg

The bad:

moldovafakesfr.jpg

And the ugly:

moldovafakesrv.jpg

The differences betwixt the authentic coin above, as Banivechi notes, the animals are different, the ox looks like he got a butch haircut, and notice the sticky looking serifs on the lettres.

Thanks for posting these. I've seen them being sold on Ebay as 'Novodels'. I wonder how long it'll be before some shady dealer tries to pass these off as genuine?

• 5 months later...
I just couldn't resist, and picked up this curiosity:

2para1772r.th.jpg

2para1772.th.jpg

Nice 'alexbq2'. Other than the typical rough surface, this has nice detailing. Thanks for sharing.

Archived