How Far Back Can We Go??

tommyd

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dug out some more of my french coins and decided to post relevant dates as well as move us forward a year

1605 quarter ecu, Saint-Lo mint

975016.jpg

1604 1/8th ecu, Rennes mint. Significant die chatter on reverse

975020.jpg

1603 quarter ecu `Dauphine', with a rather large cut taken from the flan. Too professionally done to be considered normal coin butchery. Probably doe for use in one of the French colonies, Any data on this one would be appreciated.

975017.jpg

1602 huitieme d'ecu `de Navarre' (1/8th ecu). Worn but still a worthy collectable.

975021.jpg

BUT...

1601a.jpg

Elizabeth I Penny of Ireland. Copper issue, m.m. star dated 1601. I understand this to be a very rare issue too.

1601jetonhocfoedereliliaflorentobv.jpg

1601jetonhocfoedereliliaflorentrev.jpg

1601 French jeton (Henri IV): Hoc Foedere Lilia Florent "With this alliance, the lilies bloom." Not sure which alliance it refers to, but a very common motto which will appear on many future jetons. Subducendis Rationibus = for the settling of accounts.

That jeton type is quite hard to come by for that particular date. Nice one!

The Irish penny however (while not exactly a pretty thing.....although beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder) is definitely in my `more than bloody difficult to find' category.

Again, nice one!....so who's going to post the 1600 dated coin then?

The Irish penny however (while not exactly a pretty thing.....although beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder) is definitely in my `more than bloody difficult to find' category.

"(while not exactly a pretty thing.....although beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder)" - Many of my coins support that... :ninja:

Good to hear that it is deemed rare, I'm not a big fan of it, it just sits amongst the English stuff looking sorry for itself and out of place.