tommyd

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 1610. >< In fact, I just bought it today. Hopefully someone will post a 1611 soon so I can show it off!

Ones on the way. Just it may take some time. Could post sellers pictures if impatient. :ninja:

Cool coin, Mark. What do the legends say?

Don't have a translation on the words other then a few parts you can make out. But here is the info.

Matthias (February 24, 1557 - March 20, 1619) of the House of Habsburg, Holy Roman Emperor (1612-1619), King of Hungary (1608-1619) (as Matthias II), King of Bohemia (1611-1617). Matthias was born in the Austrian capital of Vienna to Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor and Maria of Spain.Matthias married Archduchess Anna of Austria, daughter of his uncle Archduke Ferdinand II of Austria, whose successor in Further Austria Matthias became in 1595. Their marriage did not produce surviving children.

In 1593 he was appointed governor of Austria by his brother, Emperor Rudolf II. He formed a close association there with the Bishop of Vienna, Melchior Klesl, who later became his chief adviser. In 1605 Matthias forced the ailing emperor to allow him to deal with the Hungarian Protestant rebels. The result was the Peace of Vienna of 1606, which guaranteed religious freedom in Hungary. In the same year Matthias was recognized as head of the House of Habsburg and as the future Holy Roman Emperor, as a result of Rudolf's illness. Allying himself with the estates of Hungary, Austria, and Moravia, Matthias forced his brother to yield rule of these lands to him in 1608; Rudolf later ceded Bohemia in 1611.

After Matthias's accession as Holy Roman Emperor, his policy was dominated by Klesl, who hoped to bring about a compromise between Catholic and Protestant states within the Holy Roman Empire in order to strengthen it. Matthias had already been forced to grant religious concessions to Protestants in Austria and Moravia, as well as in Hungary, when he had allied with them against Rudolf.

His conciliatory policies were opposed by the more intransigent Catholic Habsburgs, particularly Matthias's brother Archduke Maximilian, who hoped to secure the succession for the inflexible Catholic Archduke Ferdinand (later Emperor Ferdinand II). The start of the Bohemian Protestant revolt in 1618 provoked Maximilian to imprison Klesl and revise his policies. Matthias, old and ailing, was unable to prevent a takeover by Maximilian's faction. Ferdinand, who had already been crowned King of Bohemia (1617) and of Hungary (1618), succeeded Matthias as Holy Roman Emperor. Matthias died in Vienna.

BTW getting a acetone soak when it makes it here. Picked up a couple more years. A king Maximilian II and king Rudolf II for later. The ones from Hungary are pretty cheap. Thought originally about getting more. Maybe later if we get stuck.

MAT. II. D.G. REX. HVN. 1611 = Matthias II by the grace of God King of Hungary 1611.

PATRONA * HVNGARI. = Protector of Hungary. Refers to the Virgin Mary (Madonna) shown holding the baby Jesus.

:ninja: Thanks. I'll have to put that in the omnicoin description.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went to the local coin show this weekend hoping to find a coin from 1609 or nearby. Alas, I bought a 1515 Salzburg pfennig, some George III cartwheel pennies, and some Canadian tokens from the early 1800s, but nothing at all was to be found from 1609!

Bumping the topic back up anyway, perhaps someone else has one?

Ben

I would love to jump back into this thread but my oldest coin remains my Dutch 1666 ducat, as I just sold both of my 1638 Netherlands Daalders.

Lately I have been drawn to coins and medals from the early 1900's. And a newer car...

• 2 weeks later...
So what was the first denomination to be date? Anyone know?

I'm not sure about first but you can find early Egyptian coins like this. Which evidently is marked year 2 and works out to 235/236 ad. Really from what I have seen we are getting closer to year territory where fewer coins have dates. The 1500's may be slow but probably doable. The 1400's ???