CoinPeople.com

1788/7 TM 2 Kopecks

RARENUM

Okey,did you look in GM(all overdates?) :ninja: .

I did. Do not know what to tell you, except the following. Here is a blurp from the description of lot 1309 of Brekke sale Part II:

"Interestigly the date is punched over the pattern date 1787. Perhaps only one set of dies existed for both dates."

Congradulations Rarenum! I wish I owned a TM coin but that's way out of my league. Maybe another 10 years later.

Just a question though, I heard that the Tauric Mint had plenty of issues and hence stopped minting right after 2 years. As well as, I have read that the dies and macherines were transported from St. Petersburg.

Is there any record of a 1788 2 kopek die created and transported? I don't think pictures of a non-overdate 2 kopek coin will help unless you own one and can provide ultra high resolution. In my opinion, such coin pictures are small, low resolution, and because they are often in circulated condition, hence unable to deduce if there are such coins.

Congradulations Rarenum! I wish I owned a TM coin but that's way out of my league. Maybe another 10 years later.

Just a question though, I heard that the Tauric Mint had plenty of issues and hence stopped minting right after 2 years. As well as, I have read that the dies and macherines were transported from St. Petersburg.

Is there any record of a 1788 2 kopek die created and transported? I don't think pictures of a non-overdate 2 kopek coin will help unless you own one and can provide ultra high resolution. In my opinion, such coin pictures are small, low resolution, and because they are often in circulated condition, hence unable to deduce if there are such coins.

Hi Gxseries,

Thank You. I like details of the coin usually I see fine.

1. Yes, it is correct dies and machineries was transported from St. Petersburg mint

2. Looks like was used the same dies for 2 kopecks from 1787.

1) Four digital of the date"1788" was repunched.

2) Crown possible different (images from GM very low resolution).

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Gxseries,

Thank You. I like details of the coin usually I see fine.

1. Yes, it is correct dies and machineries was transported from St. Petersburg mint

2. Looks like was used the same dies for 2 kopecks from 1787.

1) Four digital of the date"1788" was repunched.

2) Crown possible different (images from GM very low resolution).

I also have the 1788TM 2K. Obvious 8/7 overdate.

Steve

I also have the 1788TM 2K. Obvious 8/7 overdate.

Steve

I can find only overdates on the Auctions and privet collections. We can confirm Original 1788TM 2 k must be overdates and only one dies exist on Feodosia mint.

Archived