CoinPeople.com

Got any Mexicans?

Blackhawk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weirdly enough - most came from small, local coin shows in Ontario. There are a few eBay purchases, but only from trustworthy sellers, since it's a heavily-counterfeit area.

Uh oh, I think if you collect the Mexicans, perhaps we will call you Dos Centavos :ninja:

Your a central Northerner, cannot imagine living in that Arctic wilderness up there. For me I prefer the gentle warm breezes of the Dnestr where the Chornoye More laps against the sifting sands and civilisation in Europe began. Paradise on earth.

I know what you mean - I've spent quite a few summers on the Black Sea... It's gorgeous...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, guys. Gxseries - I like your icon. That proof Soviet 150 Roubles has to be platinum or palladium, since at that time silver commems were in the 1-5 Rouble face value.

Here are some of my Mexicans. I wouldn't go into early colonial stuff (cobs, pillars, portraits), but start with my favorite area - War of Independence:

This is a double-counterstamped issue, using the same punch as KM#289, except with a 1 Reale host, instead of 2 Reales listed in Krause:

scm-cms.jpg

So here's a question. What would you call this coin? What's the value, and what's an estimated date?

Those are pretty good questions, So and So. I've started asking myself those when I first acquired it and was looking to authenticate the counterstamp. I've contacted a number of Mexican Colonial experts and Don Canaparo from Hawaii had this to say:

hello, looked at the photo. i was wondering what you needed to know about this. i'm familiar with the c/s's on 1 & 2 reales. this eagle c/s of course also appears on 8 reales and actually is S.C.M.J. in full. i'm assuming your example 's c/s's are struck and therefore genuine. the most common accompanying c/s for the eagle of this type is the ornate M.d.S. i personally doubt the C.M.S. c/s from the same period. the eagle i believe is a war of independence era c/s as is the M.d.S., the C.M.S. appears more modern, a hacienda or municipal in the same region and later period perhaps? as always it's hard to say conclusively about that. i hope this helps in some way. sincerely-don

So, I guess we can't date the host, since it's so worn. But S.C.M. counterstamp appears to be dated 1811-1824 (War of Independence). As far as denomination - I would go with 1 Reale.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Two Kopeiki, that's actually one of my newer purchases, I absolutely love it. I also really like the newer onza coins with the multi eagle reverse, a beautiful coin if you've ever seen one. I'll try to get a pic up later.

1_4real1863_53lrmexmint.jpg1_4real1863_53lrmexmint2.jpg

<br>

Mexico 1/4 Real Mo 1863/53 L.R. Mexico Mint, NGC MS63<br>

Only one graded by NGC.

Cool coin, never even knew it existed. I like how plain the Obv is, rather unusual.

Archived