CoinPeople.com

My New Idea for the Site (and a poll)

Guest Stujoe

Would you be a host for a CoinPeople.com coin?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be a host for a CoinPeople.com coin?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Stujoe

Ok, it is not a totally new idea... I pretty much am stealing it from rcc where it was done for a while. :ninja: In fact, I ran the program there for a while.

The basic idea is...the CoinPeople.com Mint. No, we are not issueing coins or tokens for sale...yet. It is something a little different.

The way this works is...I am going to create a one-off CoinPeople 'coin'. Basically, I have a 2 ounce round that will be coming that I am going to grind off most of the details, add in a little coinpeople.com and a date. The idea is that this 'coin' will be sent from one person to another in a journey around the world. Members will sign up to be a host for it.

I will send the 'coin' off to the first host. They will take it a few places around where they live, get a few pictures of the 'coin' (and themselves hopefully) in various places, and basically show it a good time. The more creative, the better. They will then scratch, etch, dremel, or carve their initials into the coin.

They will send the pictures off to me (or upload them to their photo album or whatever) and they will PM me a (hopefully colorful...embellishment is allowed ;)) description of the 'coins' travels while it was with them...where they took it, what it did, who it met, etc.

Then that person will send the 'coin' onto the next person and the cycle will repeat. With the pictures and the info, I will then post a travelogue on the website so we can all track where the 'coin' has been, what it has seen, and who it was with, etc.

It doesn't cost the host anything excpet postage to the next location. Bascially, the idea is a community thing so we can learn a little about where each of us are and to have some fun and have a circulating mememto.

Would anyone be interested in something like this?

Guest Stujoe
I hosted the RCC Trime and, if I do say so myself, it had a 'good' time.  It visited the Fredonia Coin Club in Nacogdoches. It was a hoot to have and to show around.

I'd be honored to be a CoinPeople.com Coin host...

Guest Stujoe
For something like this you would have to be able to post pictures.  I'm still working on that part.Jerry

There is a tutorial in the Tutorials section on it. That might help.

Also, I wouldn't care how the pictures got to me. You can email them, post them, even send regular pictures to me or a roll of film and I will scan them. We are flexible here. :ninja:

Guest Stujoe
I hosted the RCC Trime and, if I do say so myself, it had a 'good' time.  It visited the Fredonia Coin Club in Nacogdoches. It was a hoot to have and to show around.

I'd be honored to be a CoinPeople.com Coin host...

A host with experience! :ninja:

Guest Stujoe

Moving this to site information forum...

I was practicing on a nickel today and I think I have all the tools I need to do what I want to do. :mrgreen:

Guest Stujoe

I think one did. Another was 'lost' for a while but eventually found. It and most of the rest are still out there somewhere, AFAIK.

The problem was always getting people to give them up and send them onto the next host. And, the other problem was getting people to sign up to be hosts. Then, the other, other problem was getting them to send pictures and a description.

:ninja:

Guest Stujoe
My main problem would be things getting lost/pinched from the post...

That happened with a coin I mailed out to someone here. IT really made me fume!

Guest Stujoe
My main problem would be things getting lost/pinched from the post...

Mail really hasn't been that much of a problem. One, I remember, got lost coming from Australia to the US (supposedly lost that is) but mostly they make their way around ok even across countries.

There will be guidelines on how to ship it...to keep people from slipping it in a paper envelope with a 37 cent stamp on it (insert your own country's mailing rules) and if insurance is not prohibitive or prohibited, that will be a good idea. Even insuring it for a minimum amount will probably lessen the chance of it being 'lost'.

But, the pictures and story are the important part, anyway. The actual object is secondary. If it were to get lost, it can be replaced.

Guest Stujoe

Oh, and on rcc, it ws pretty well hap-hazzardly circulated too. It would go from the US to the UK to the US to Aussieland to the US to the Uk, etc or from New York to California to New York to Ohio.

I will probably set it up to circulate a bit in one area before sending to another. And once it gets across the pond, it will stay over there for a while before making it back. Basically, the idea is to reduce the number of times it criss crosses the Atlantic a little and to reduce the distance it travels each time within a country.

Guest Stujoe

Mail really hasn't been that much of a problem. One, I remember, got lost coming from Australia to the US (supposedly lost that is) but mostly they make their way around ok even across countries.

An item I sent in an envelope recently was ripped from the envelope. The envelope arrived with a rip in the paper and a hole torn through the inner bubble-wrap lining. :grumpy:

Guest Stujoe

All you can do is the best you can and hope for the best. I have been lucky that I have never had anything lost or stolen in the post. I do most mailing in the US but some to Canada and Europe.

I have only had one thing damaged and that was a package that I sent to QC that Customs used a razor blade to open the package and gouged some coins. I think I will use a small box next time I ship anything out of the US.

Guest Stujoe
And yes, of course, Coiny is more than welcome to see all that NYC has to offer.  I just hope my 2 year old doesn't get a hold of her.  He has a habit of hiding my coins.