CoinPeople.com

Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region 10 wen coin - when was this minted?

gxseries

ccg, you might be a better person to answer this coin:

922195.jpg

1930s? :ninja:

Quite an interesting coin as it has both Arabic and Chinese text on it. Also, there is a die rotation with this coin.

Xinjiang by the way is rumored to be one of the most mysterious places in the world. Some recent discoveries found there exceed the preservations of what is found in Egypt! ;) You should type "Xinjiang Xiaohe tombs' in google to read more about it. ;)

This province was formerly known as Sinkiang, and is in the northwestern part of China above Tibet. This particular coin was minted at the Kashgar mint between AH1331-1332 or 1912-1913, I cannot see enough of the Arabic date to give the particulars on the date. In my 1982 catalog a coin like this is priced at $100-110. This coin was one of the first issued during the new Republic of China, which is why the flags on it instead of the dragon formerly on their coins.

You GOT to be kidding with that 100 dollar figure Scottishmoney! :ninja: I only remembered getting it around 10-20 dollars ish and I only got it due to the dual language feature. Yes, just that random. I didn't even notice the rotated die until I got it!

I'll definately get a close up but where is the Arabic date located on the reverse? On the top or the bottom of the coin? I am assuming the bottom?

I caution on the prices, the catalog as noted was a 1982 Krause catalog, I am too cheap to update. I collect coins from Jiangxi, then Kiangsi Province, and prices especially for the larger denomination 10 Cash and 50 Cash coins have come down considerably, maybe has to do with the opening up of China and the fact that it is easy to get even authentic stuff, let alone stuff that is not authentic.

Stuff that was previously rare or scarce can be a bit more common now. Same would go for stuff from the USSR era, except that there is now a greater demand that outpaced the supply increase. I expect in the next few years, prices for good Chinese material will go up considerably.

In the 1980s, lots of Sinkiang (I'm still used to the old spellings) and other stuff came onto the market, and scarce/rare cash coins in general dropped in value.

Those crossed flags are the five-color flags (representing the five main nationalities of China), which was the original flag of the Republic of China.

Anyways, from the 2006 SCWC, I'm attributing it as Y#38a.3 / Y#38a.1 (I can't make out any differences between the two pieces).

From the 2-3 o'clock position on the left pic, you can make out "year 10" (of the republic), which is 1921 and corresponds to the two possible dates given in Krause-Mishler:

AH1339 / (1921)

AH1340 / (1921)

Values $5/G, $10/VG, $15/F, $20/VF, not listed in higher grades.

For the type, I'll call it F.

Left side legends, BTW:

Centre (TDRL):

Chinese Republic

Rim (starting at 3 o'clock, CW):

cash ten chi'en* red** equal (equal to ten pieces red cash)

Rim (starting at 3 o'clock, CCW):

tenth year Sinkiang Kashgar made (Made in Kashgar, Sinkiang in the tenth year of the Republic)

*in this case it would mean "pieces"

**reference to red cash used in Sinkiang

• 2 weeks later...

Archived