CoinPeople.com

When searching cent rolls........

Burks

I haven't searched rolls in ages. I generally took out the copper and of course picked any dates I needed for my albums/folders.

Since the discovery of coppercoins.com... all dates. I've found a few notable coins that way, some minor varieties. That, to me at least, is very rewarding and worth the time it takes to search each and every one - even the zincs.

To make it easier though, I only search varieties that have relatively easy diagnostics (give-away die cracks, etc) or are worth something significant.

My bank announced today that they will no longer get boxes, time to hit the other banks.

Do they carry the $50 bags?

I need to get around to making a list of notable (read: worth something) varieties someday.

Actually, they are saying I can't buy more than $5.00 at a time in change. I get that at my other bank also, then they try to charge for services etc. I have to remind them that I can close my account and go elsewhere, then they get cooperative.

I have to remind them that I can close my account and go elsewhere, then they get cooperative.

My dad has pulled that a time or two. His bank is full of idiots and very rude people. He went to the manager before about that. They'd always come up with some lame excuse until the manager came over, then it was "yes sir, right away sir". When I was in high school he'd ask for $100 in $1 bills. For some reason he'd always get something back other than what he asked for. The $1 bills were for lunch at school. They'd always throw a hissy fit about it. So now, since I like to search rolls, he returns all my rejected coins to them. You know what they say about payback...... :ninja:

When we were vacationing in Gatlinburg, TN we went to a local back and got a box of cents. The lady thought it was funny we were so far from home and I wanted to search through 2500 cents. Even the manager got a laugh over it.

Some banks are cool about it and others act like you are asking for a $25 box, their car keys, and their first born.

I do business with three different banks, and a couple of branches of two of them. Accept the one branch of the one bank, they are usually pretty good about it. But it is a branch in a grocery store, and I think they are worried that after next month they may not have a job, so they are busy being PITA's.

This box has been disappointing. Decent amount of pre-82's but nothing special. Only one wheat cent so far. I do have a nice pile of cents to check for varieties but can't until I find my loupe.

1000 down, 1500 to go.

I have had that happen where I have gone through 50-60% of a box and come up with a wheat or two, then have them all pop up in the last 10 rolls. I didn't keep track of numbers until this year, but I have checked about 14-15 boxes since last summer, and have never had less than 9 wheats in a box, and as many as 16. The earliest wheat was the 1910 which was in the last roll of the box. My earliest mintmark is a 1919-S

I want to search more, but I am fearing this may soon be a thing of the past, I am having a hard time finding cents in quantities.

Is your bank a country wide chain? Maybe you can try checking at other locations in different towns. Some places you might not even need to be a member to get a box.

• 2 months later...

i love searching rolls!!! every morning i go to the bank and get 10-15$ worth and look at them for wheaties and such just last year i found four rolls of wheaties and an indian!!

i love searching rolls!!! every morning i go to the bank and get 10-15$ worth and look at them for wheaties and such just last year i found four rolls of wheaties and an indian!!

That would be enough to keep me going back every day!

Archived