CoinPeople.com

Edward III Noble (1361-1369)

gpnyc

Scratch this one off the "have to have one some day" list. The best part is I paid less than the coin sold for at the ANR Eliasberg sale in 2005!

Edward III Noble (1361-1369) 7.69 grams, 33.10 mm. London mint.

Obv: Standing king on ship of state with shield and sword, in beaded circle, legends around. Rev: Ornamental floriated cross in octylobe, beaded circle, lions and crowns at angles, legends around.

Even light yellow gold, nicely struck in all quarters though somewhat granular at rims, scattered obverse marks.

From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942.

920864.jpg

That is a sweet coin, nice full legends, very difficult to find such. I have always wanted one of these nobles, but until I am willing to pay for the full legends and completely unclipped, I will wait thus.

Do you ever wonder what you could have purchased during the 14th century with such an amazing amount of money? This was the equivalent of more than 80 days labour for the average person during that era.

That's one of those "WOW" coins you rarely get to see ;)

Way to go !!! :ninja:

I wonder why no-one ever spent it? It must have been worth a fortune - even in those days :ninja:

It is not uncommon for the larger denomination pieces to be in much better states of preservation since they did not get carried around in bags, pockets, mouths etc. like all the common pennies did.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived