CoinPeople.com

Found in The Coinstar Reject Bin Thread

Scottishmoney

CoinStars here reject all Canadian coins. Do CoinStars in Canada reject all U.S. coinage?

I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure they take the US coinage, as it can't differentiate them from the Canadian. I know that Canadian quarters are lighter than the US ones, which is why they probably get rejected down south. I'm not sure about the other coins, as I'd have to check the weight differences more closely.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never used a CoinStar machine so I don't know whether they reject Canadian other than finding them in the reject trays. I do know if I take coins to the bank and put them in their coin machine that it does reject 10¢ and 25¢, the 1980's twelve sided cents and the older magnetic 5¢. Earlier this week I put over $40 worth of coinage, which probably had $5 in Canadian coins, mostly cents and only the twelve sided cents rejected. So they become gumball tokens or get dumped on the penny ride at the grocery store.

I used to loath getting Canadian coins in change, we get them everyday here, but now with the Canadian dollar worth $1.03 US it is an advantage to take them.

I do know if I take coins to the bank and put them in their coin machine that it does reject 10¢ and 25¢, the 1980's twelve sided cents and the older magnetic 5¢.

If those are the pure nickel ones (pre-1982), then they are worth just over $0.14 each in melt value as of this morning. I once knew a dealer up here paying $0.10 each for them, but have now changed their tune to "call us to discuss" pricing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This morning in Meijers my wife and I walked by the machine and I did my obligatory check, nothing as usual. I commented to her that if our daughter was with us that there would be a pile in there. Because she cannot pass that machine without pulling out money out of the reject bin. So later my wife had to go back to the store and took my daughter, and of course:

anyashoard.jpg

The more interesting things in this are the 1961 Bolivian Boliviano coin, and the two Canadian 5¢ coins, dated 1958(12 sided) and 1964.

If someone is putting their jar of coins into the machine when you are there, do you hover until they are finished? I almost did that the other day but didn't want to seem creepy.