CoinPeople.com

National Bank of Ukraine 1-20 Hryvnia Notes 2005-6

Scottishmoney

The National Bank of Ukraine has recently updated the Ukrainian currency beginning in 2003. This is now the fourth series released since independence was achieved in 1991. Curiously this series looks a bit more European than previous issues, especially the first Hryvnia issue that was released in 1996 which looked almost Oriental in design.

ua12006.jpg

This note portrays an early Prince from the Kyivan Rus state, Volodomyr The Great, and his city fortress of Kyiv on the reverse of the note.

ua22005.jpg

This note portrays another early Prince, Yaroslav Mudriy and the Church of Saint Sofiya on the reverse of the note. Curiously the background on the obverse of this note has an image of an early Kyivan Rus coin with the Tryzub or trident device on it. This trident is now the symbol of independent Ukraine.

ua52005.jpg

This note portrays Bohdan Khmelnistkiy, a Hetman(Chief) that reigned in the 17th century and signed a treaty bringing Ukraine into the Russian Empire. He is a bit of a controversial historical figure for this fact, some in modern Ukraine believe he sold out to Russia. The reverse has the Church of Seli Subotovi.

ua102005.jpg

This note portrays Ivan Mazepa, another late 17th and early 18th Century Hetman from Ukraine. When Karl XII of Sweden invaded Russia in the Great Northern War and ventured into what is now Ukraine, Ivan Mazepa aligned himself with Karl XII's forces in an effort to assert Ukraine's independence from Russia. However Karl XII lost at Poltava and Mazepa would eventually lose his head. The reverse portrays the Uspesnkiy Cathedral in Pecherskaya Lavra in Kyiv. This Cathedral is one of the most beautiful in all of Ukraine and I think it is one of my personal favourites of all the ones I have seen in Europe.

ua202005.jpg

This note has Ivan Franko, a famous poet and writer from Lviv in Western Ukraine, he is one of the most famous of native Ukrainian poets. The reverse of the note portrays the Lviv Opera Theatre and a Bandura, a musical instrument from W. Ukraine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived