CoinPeople.com

10000+ Mark Westphalia Notgeld Coin

These are very large coins. I see some for sale but I am not sure how much these coins are counterfeit and the prices are wildly different on german ebay. Can anyone direct me to a good reliable source or if they arent copied a lot, then I will just bid on one...thanks...

5d_1_b.JPG

this one is being sold for 150 dollars but I see ones that are in similar shape (maybe just a bit worse) for 10 - 15 bucks or less...I would like to aquire one of these but I dont want to buy a fake...thanks

I doubt that it is fake, but I've seen one sell for more like the $10 - $15 dollar range. It does appear to be a nice piece, so maybe I'd go in the $25 to $30 range if I really wanted one. Choice maybe $50 range if it were my specialty and I knew it was hard to find so nice. It would have to be something really special to go $150. I can't see that price myself. Maybe I'm missing something.

I am not planning to bid on this one...I see ones in just a bit more worn shape than this one for far less. I am wondering more if this TYPE of coin is commonly faked and that is why some are so much cheaper. The prices on ebay fluctuate from 15-150 for similar examples. I am just a bit afraid to bid on one as all the sellers I usually buy coins from do not have this coin thus I have to venture into the unknown for it. I would gladly pay 15-20 bucks for one of these in good shape. If anyone here has one to sell I wouldr ather go that route, otherwise I would like advice before I purchase.

Thanks

There are two types of that "coin" - one has a higher relief and a "thick" or wide rim (Jaeger N20a, Funck 645.7A), the other one has less relief and the rim is not that wide (Jaeger N20b, Funck 645.7B). These are the prices in € according to the Jaeger catalog (which lists the Westfalen issues "out of tradition" even though they were not used as coins):

ss (~VF) 12 / 15

vz (~EF) 22 / 25

st (~BU) 35 / 40

The second price is for N20b which (I think) is the piece shown in the picture. And no, they are not exactly known as commonly counterfeited pieces. :ninja:

Christian

If I remember correctly, there are many different face values, and different market prices. Cheaper are 100 mark, and biggest value, I think is 1 billion mark - approx 250 euro. Must check the Funck catalogue, there are 2 or 3 pages of these Westphalian notmunze.

yes, it seems a decent version of this 10000 might be around 20-30 dollars. A guy on ebay who was selling a lot with the 10000 as the highest denomination said he would break it out of the lot and sell it to me for 30 dollars. There also seems to be alminum and bronze versions...I am looking for bronze only.

d284_1.JPG

d2d7_1.JPG

I have this example but it has been punched on the front once and the make many many times on the reverse (not sure what caused this and why)...I just want to replace it with the same or higher denomination...up to billion I think they are the same size.

• 2 weeks later...
d284_1.JPG

d2d7_1.JPG

I have this example but it has been punched on the front once and the make many many times on the reverse (not sure what caused this and why)...I just want to replace it with the same or higher denomination...up to billion I think they are the same size.

Those are BB shot marks. Someone used it for target practice.

• 1 month later...

Tabbs. Would you say this is a thick 645.7a or a thin 645.7b version of this coin? Comparing it seems to me to be the thick rim...could be wrong.

Also as I was reading about this coin on another site they were listing varieties of this coin as gold plated bronze 645.7.1 and 645.7.2

I assume this is just Bronze :ninja:

10000mark.jpg

Would you say this is a thick 645.7a or a thin 645.7b version of this coin? Comparing it seems to me to be the thick rim...could be wrong.

Yes, I agree about the thick rim. I don't "actively" collect the Westfalen notgeld though. :ninja: That 10,000 Mark coin - both the "a" and "b" varieties - is made of Tombak oder Kupfer, vergoldet according to the Jaeger catalog. Tombac is a type of brass (Cu-Zn) with a high copper share.

So both varieties are gilded copper or tombac; of the "b" version there are also a few non-gilded examples, and very few silver pieces. Maybe somebody who is more familiar with Westfalen pieces or has the Funck catalog could tell you more ...

Christian

thanks for the info, I will proceed under the assumption that it is the thick rim of the gilded variety. The non-gilded seems more rare and expensive and as this wasnt that much I assume its gilded and after comparing several examples I think its the thicker rim... :ninja:

Archived