CoinPeople.com

Canada 50 cents collection 1937 to 2006

andre

Hi,

why are the 50cents are so rare?In Germany I can't get them, and if, it will be coast a lot.

Greeting Sebastian

Sebastian,

In Canada, while 50 cent pieces do not circulate, they are readily obtainable at low prices. The nickel issues from 1968 to the 1980s can often be obtained for $1 or less!

In the germany, the old ones coast 2€ that's more than 2$ and the newe ones aren't sheep, too.

Sebastian,

In Canada, while 50 cent pieces do not circulate, they are readily obtainable at low prices. The nickel issues from 1968 to the 1980s can often be obtained for $1 or less!

50 cent coins do circulate technically, the mint makes them for that purpose, it's just that nobody uses them for a variety of reasons. Collectors snap them up so what is out there is rarely seen, businesses don't even have a slot in the register for them nor do banks, and banks don't carry them unless they are deposited.

I've got a stack of about 15 dollars worth of them and have been using them lately, it's a 50/50 chance as to whether people think it's a quarter and say "you're 25 cents short" or practically throw a party at recieving one.

I think they're pretty and like to circulate them because of that, but the mint makes it really hard for me to do that :ninja:

• 2 months later...

I've stopped using 50c after getting the few negative experiences (coin flat out rejected or being held up in line while cashier asks his/her manager if it's acceptable). About 3/4 of the time it's accepted in my experience.

Want to circulate some of them into my collection? I need almost all from 1982 up.

That's when it gets tough! :ninja:

Almost all of the ones from 1980 or so and later were saved in rolls by collectors, so they usually aren't seen loose or in circualted grades, unlike the 1968-late 70s.

• 9 years later...

All stores in my area will not accept 50 cent pieces. I had 4 loose 1952-2002 50¢ pieces, and the store would not accept them. I had to drive home and get a twoonie! technically stores are supposed to accept them because it is legal tender in Canada. most stores will only accept a whole roll of them.