1374 Aachen, Germany

1375 Aachen, Germany

1391 Schoonvorst

1402-1405 Aachen, Germany

I have over 160+ different coins with dates before 1500 A.D. I also have one

complete run of the Hungarian denars 1503-1630. Working on three other

runs.

When coin collectors show off some of their treasures to non-collectors

they are always asked two questions; how much is it worth and how old is it.

Since I am not wealthy I can at least show some old coins. I will venture

into Greek, Roman and Byzantine as finances allow. I will check back in

a few days if there maybe some questions. Happy New Year!!

Hello and welcome to CoinPeople. Sounds like a nice collection. Glad you decided to join us.

This'd be my oldest with a certain date. I have an Elizabeth I sixpence, but I haven't nailed down which issue it is yet. I think it's 1571, but I'll hold off posting until I have something certain.

1622 Sigismund III poltorak (1½ grosz)

1021914.jpg

This'd be my oldest with a certain date. I have an Elizabeth I sixpence, but I haven't nailed down which issue it is yet. I think it's 1571, but I'll hold off posting until I have something certain.

1622 Sigismund III poltorak (1½ grosz)

1021914.jpg

Very nice coin. :art:

Hello Everyone, I just found this forum. I will revive an old post that I found

interesting. At this time I do not have pics but I do have the following

coins with actual dates. They are 1204 Toledo, Spain

1374 Aachen, Germany

1375 Aachen, Germany

1391 Schoonvorst

1402-1405 Aachen, Germany

I have over 160+ different coins with dates before 1500 A.D. I also have one

complete run of the Hungarian denars 1503-1630. Working on three other

runs.

When coin collectors show off some of their treasures to non-collectors

they are always asked two questions; how much is it worth and how old is it.

Since I am not wealthy I can at least show some old coins. I will venture

into Greek, Roman and Byzantine as finances allow. I will check back in

a few days if there maybe some questions. Happy New Year!!

Very impressive - how long did it take to find the earlier ones? I take they must be a bit of a challenge/

Hello CCG, I started collecting Aug. 2001. Glenn Schinke from California sold me my first

two pieces. I highly recommend Glenn as he is very knowledgeable and friendly. I search

auctions and sales. My "Bible" for the early dated coins (pre 1500A.D.) is Bob Levinson's

book, extremely well researched and the format is easy to follow. When I find a perspective

coin, I bid very strong. The pride of ownership out weighs the "wish I hads". To me the "hunt"

is not pleasurable, but extremely annoying. The ones that I listed above are some of my most

valuable coins that I own; but not near as expensive as some that I have seen posted on this

forum and others. Even the common coins listed in Bob's book only appear at auction every

few years. With that said, an 1893-S silver dollar is relatively common. The Hungarian coins

are fun to collect as they are relatively cheap ($10-$30 each). Oddly enough, the earlier pieces

(pre 1560) come very nice with some patience. The later dates are troublesome. It took me

15 years, starting in the early 1980's to finish the the first run, the other three even longer.

I am sorry for the long reply, very few people collect the "Early Dated Coins" so I have a

tendency to ramble. I will answer any questions you or the forum might have.

Happy New Year to you and all who read this.

Hello CCG, I started collecting Aug. 2001. Glenn Schinke from California sold me my first

two pieces. I highly recommend Glenn as he is very knowledgeable and friendly. I search

auctions and sales. My "Bible" for the early dated coins (pre 1500A.D.) is Bob Levinson's

book, extremely well researched and the format is easy to follow. When I find a perspective

coin, I bid very strong. The pride of ownership out weighs the "wish I hads". To me the "hunt"

is not pleasurable, but extremely annoying. The ones that I listed above are some of my most

valuable coins that I own; but not near as expensive as some that I have seen posted on this

forum and others. Even the common coins listed in Bob's book only appear at auction every

few years. With that said, an 1893-S silver dollar is relatively common. The Hungarian coins

are fun to collect as they are relatively cheap ($10-$30 each). Oddly enough, the earlier pieces

(pre 1560) come very nice with some patience. The later dates are troublesome. It took me

15 years, starting in the early 1980's to finish the the first run, the other three even longer.

I am sorry for the long reply, very few people collect the "Early Dated Coins" so I have a

tendency to ramble. I will answer any questions you or the forum might have.

Happy New Year to you and all who read this.

Nice information. That is quite a collection you're building. Do you have photos of any that you'd like to share?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...