CoinPeople.com

Post a Pic of Your Oldest Dated Coin Thread

Scottishmoney

hungarydenar1508.jpg

When I was a kid I bought an 1822 Large Cent at a state fair once, for a few weeks it was my oldest dated coin until I got a well worn but discernable 1817 Large Cent, a couple of years later I bought a 1797 Large Cent, then went downhill from there after getting into foreign coins.

So far, this coin that I purchased probably 15 yrs ago remains my earliest dated coin from coins dated in the Christian era, a 1508 Hungarian Denar minted during the reign of Wladislaw II Jagiello of Hungary(1490-1516) Hungarian denars because of their great quantity remain the easiest and most affordable way to obtain a very early dated coin.

Please post a pic of your earliest dated coin, perhaps someone has something older than this.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of those Hungarian Denars, but mine's a 1549 (400 years before I was born!!!)

895379.jpg

Crummy photo. Sorry.

919095.jpg

1504 Hungary Denar with a doubled A in "PATRONA", and doubling on some reverse letters as well.

Hungary and Poland IMO are the easiest (and least expensive) Western Arabic dated coins in AD.

[Edit: I changed my coin and pic]

919095.jpg

1504 Hungary Denar with a doubled A in "PATRONA", and doubling on some reverse letters as well.

Hungary and Poland IMO are the easiest (and least expensive) Western Arabic dated coins in AD.

[Edit: I changed my coin and pic]

I was hoping someone could beat mine, really :ninja: That is cool with the early variant of the numeral 4.

• 2 weeks later...

No need to post a pic, my oldest christian era dated coin is also a Hungarian denar. Mine is from 1510 though. I wanted to post my oldest non-hungarian coin, a 1532 one-sided Austrian Klagenfurt pfennig, but somehow I keep getting the message that my pictures are over 1000k which they are not.

Peter Paul

hungarydenar1508.jpg

When I was a kid I bought an 1822 Large Cent at a state fair once, for a few weeks it was my oldest dated coin until I got a well worn but discernable 1817 Large Cent, a couple of years later I bought a 1797 Large Cent, then went downhill from there after getting into foreign coins.

So far, this coin that I purchased probably 15 yrs ago remains my earliest dated coin from coins dated in the Christian era, a 1508 Hungarian Denar minted during the reign of Wladislaw II Jagiello of Hungary(1490-1516) Hungarian denars because of their great quantity remain the easiest and most affordable way to obtain a very early dated coin.

Please post a pic of your earliest dated coin, perhaps someone has something older than this.

Hey Dave, I don't have a Hungarian denar that is older, but I have one that is just a year younger. :ninja:

912922.jpg