CoinPeople.com

Grade this Barber Half

syzygy

Grading Challenge  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What grade is this 1906 Barber Half?

• FR-2
    • AG-3
    • G-4
    • G-6
    • VG-8
    • VG-10
    • F-12
    • F-15
    • VF-20
  2. 2. What is its fair value?

• Melt value of silver
    • $10
    • $15
    • $20
    • $25
    • $30
    • $35
    • $45
    • $55
    • $65

VG-8 for the same reasons Art supplied.

But it might go VG-10 due to the entire motto in the reverse ribbon being visible.

G-6 10-15 bucks, it looks like it was cleaned or wiped at somepoint. Still a nice coin though, I love barber coinage.

This is my thinking on grade / value of the Barber Half.

For reference, I use Photograde (18th) and the ANA Grading Standards Guide (6th). I also refer to the PCGS Grading guide and the RedBook, but these two do not have enough grading information for the series, at least compared to the first two. Pretty clearly, the piece looks better to me than than the AG-3 or G-4 pictures. For a VG-8, Photograde wants a total of 3 letters in 'Liberty" visible (any combination of partial letters is ok) and a partial "E Pluribus Unum). ANA guide wants "some letters" and "parts of eye and motto visible".

I see the letters in "Liberty" satisfied and the motto looks stronger than the description. The eye has some detail as well. Jumping to a F-12 is not warranted, however, as there is clearly not a full "liberty" and the other descriptors (e.g., half the feathers, full and bold rim) are not met.

So, definitely a VG-8, but does it merit a VG-10? I think probably not, but I do think it is a solid VG-8. Further, there are no distracting nicks, bruises or scratches beyond what I would expect for the grade. I see no evidence of cleaning or environmental damage.

Checking a Barber Half Grading site (which is a very nice free reference), I find the VG-8 coin looks pretty similar, but again, maybe this coin is a just a tad better.

So, I'm giving it a VG-8.

Now for the fair price / value. Looking at a couple of guidebooks / lists:

2006 Redbook, $14

Coins magazine, Nov., 2006, $13.50

CoinValues magazine, Aug., 2005, $15.00

Coin Prices magazine, Mar., 2007, $13.50

PCGS online price guide, $20.00 (G)

A quick check on a dealer site shows this one for $17

So, for price I would say $15 is good, but up to $20 would not be outlandish.

I am in complete agreement with the majority responses for both grade and value. Maybe this post is making too much out of a pretty common coin, but I think it is important to be able to accurately grade the under $20 coins.

nice job, guys!

I do have a question:

Do you get free access to the ANA grading standard guide as an ANA member? Or is it readily available to non-members?

I haven't graded coins in over 40 years, just getting back into collecting again. I looked at the pics before scrolling down to see what other's gave for grade and I came up with a VG-8 based on a book I bought yesteday titled "Making the Grade" by Coin World. Considered a 10 but decided not so. As for price..I don't have a price book in my possession yet, but if I was selling it I would put it on ebay at a minimum of $12 with no reserve and let the market decide. It was nice to see (after scrolling down) that VG-8 seems to be the consensus. nice coin, wish I had a hundred of them. basic bob

• 1 month later...
I said VG-8. Meant to hit $20 but hit $30 on accident.....

Barbers tend to bring good money in my area. What some people consider junk silver sells for $15+ here (Barbers that is)

You know, back in the 1980s Barbers were considered "junk silver" and I remember routinely pulling coins like this one out of the junk silver bins for between 6-10x face! Oh for the good old days, now you can't even find Walkers or Mercs in the junk silver bins!

PS- I voted VG-8 and $10.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived