CoinPeople.com

Do you collect commemoratives?

Tiffibunny

I absolutely love the fact that they do complete foil representations of the coins themselves.  I'm putting these up on the bulletin board.

Yesss! I have one of those cards too. (Got it along with a Czech coin dated 2002 that commemorates the introduction of the euro cash.) Usually I trash most of the "paper" that comes with a coin - not in this case though. :ninja:

Christian

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesss! I have one of those cards too. (Got it along with a Czech coin dated 2002 that commemorates the introduction of the euro cash.) Usually I trash most of the "paper" that comes with a coin - not in this case though. :ninja:

Christian

I wonder when they started to issue those.

I wonder when they started to issue those.

There is some information about those cards on page 166-167 of this PDF document:

Czech Coins and Medals 1993-2005

http://www.mint.cz/en/images/Katalog_minci_a_medaili.pdf

(in Czech, about 220 pages)

Seems they have done it from early on (1993-). Problem is, I do not understand Czech ...

Christian

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice! I particularly like that Münchhausen coin ... mostly because of the design but also due to the strange way the country and denomination were added. :ninja: They could simply have written "1 lats" for the face value, but no, it's "viens simts santimu" (one hundred santims), and the country name can be found on the edge only ...

When that coin was issued, I first wondered about the occasion. His 285th birthday?? Well, turned out that the reason was the reopening of the Münchhausen Museum in Dunte (today LT). Münchhausen was born and died in Bodenwerder (today NI, DE) but lived in Dunte for a couple of years and got married nearby. The coin was minted by the KNM in Utrecht, I think.

Christian

I commented on the Latvian coin in your other post and the freedom of modern artists in how they treat the coin as medium. Your Polish commemoratives intrigue me for the consistent style or manner in which they use the positive and negative aspects of the coin's field to create a strong design. The amber inset, albeit totally impractical for a circulating coin, adds a touch to the obverse that knocks my socks off. Great coin.

910836.jpg

Nice! I particularly like that Münchhausen coin ... mostly because of the design but also due to the strange way the country and denomination were added. :ninja:  They could simply have written "1 lats" for the face value, but no, it's "viens simts santimu" (one hundred santims), and the country name can be found on the edge only ...

When that coin was issued, I first wondered about the occasion. His 285th birthday?? Well, turned out that the reason was the reopening of the Münchhausen Museum in Dunte (today LT). Münchhausen was born and died in Bodenwerder (today NI, DE) but lived in Dunte for a couple of years and got married nearby. The coin was minted by the KNM in Utrecht, I think.

Christian

In that case it should contain the mint mark of the KNM (caduceus) and the mint master mark (sails), which I can't see in the image. Perhaps on the edge?

Possibly so; I do not have that coin but I cannot see anything like that in the picture. Here http://www.muenzauktion.com/mehlhausen/item.php5?id=5 is a large image that does not show a mintmark either. But even the Latvian central bank states that the coin was made by the KNM. Maybe Tiff could check the edge?

Christian

Possibly so; I do not have that coin but I cannot see anything like that in the picture. Here http://www.muenzauktion.com/mehlhausen/item.php5?id=5 is a large image that does not show a mintmark either. But even the Latvian central bank states that the coin was made by the KNM. Maybe Tiff could check the edge?

Christian

No sorry, it's in a holder already. But yes that's where it was minted according to the COA.

• 5 weeks later...