Do you collect commemoratives?

Tiffibunny

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 150 pieces?! :ninja:

Damn mint frauds ;)

Until now, 250 pieces for gold coins was a "normal" mintage, and for silver 500 or 1000 pieces. But with this last coin, the National Bank of Romania offensed the Romanian collectors. Numismatics in Romania is not an developped hobby, here does not exist any specialized magazine, even the law is yet against the colectors (practically the international swaps are forbidden without a expertise of coins supposed to be exported, expertise who in 99% of cases says that the coins are subject of national treasure, even they are 20-30 years old) and teoretically every coin must be expertized and registered at the museum... I know a Romanian collector who received a letter fron customs authorities who explained him that the ROMANIAN gold coin purchased by him from ebay is by law forbidden to import without special authorisation, and in consequance the coin was returned to the foreign seller...

The good part of this situation is that here with some money and patience you can find good coins, because in many cases (it's about copper and silver coins) the uneducated people simply don't know the real value of coins. In the case of gold coins (as a paranthese the Romanian old gold coins are virtually inexistents on the market) the owners tends to ask enormous prices for hanged or holed coins (by default french 20 Fr and Austro-Hungarian 1, 4 Ducats and Krone).The Romanian gold coins are inexistent because of Romanian immigrants in '40's-80's who being in imposibility to buy dollars from banks, took with them the only universal value available: gold coin and jewelries.

Today the rich numismatists from Romania (I am not one of them...) buy many of Romanian gold coins available on ebay...

Partially. The mintage of gold coins was low at all times, due to the lack of this metal in Romania. The biggest issue before WWII was 196.000 (20 Lei 1890) and the lowest 3000 ex (100 Lei 1906). After WWII it was one massive emission (20 Lei 1944) - 1.000.000 pieces due to massive increasing of gold reserves of National Bank (german gold, as payment for romanian oil), coins sold at bullion value to the tax payers.

• 2 weeks later...

2 new ones from Belarus...

http://www.coinpeople.com/b2005-Belarus-20...nt-b-t6614.html

http://www.coinpeople.com/b2005-Belarus-20...nt-b-t6615.html

907610.jpg

1974 Israel 10 Lirot Damascus Lamp

907609.jpg

1975 Israel 10 Lirot Holland Lamp

907844.jpg

2005 Poland 20 Zloty Jasna Gora Proof. Mint: Polish Mint Denomination: 20 Zloty Quality: Proof Issue limit: 69,000 pcs. Alloy: 92.5% Sterling Silver Diameter: 38.61 mm Weight: 28.28 grams Design: Ewa Tyc-Karpinska Celebrateing the 350th Anniversary of the successful defence of Jasna Góra (Bright Hill) in Czestochowa.

907845.jpg

2005 Hungary 5000 Forint Aggtelek National Park Proof. Mint: Hungarian Mint Denomination: 5,000 Forint Quality: Proof Issue limit: 5,000 pcs. Alloy: 92.5% Sterling Silver Diameter: 38.61 mm Weight: 31.46 grams Design: Bohus Aron Aggtelek National Park is located on the border to the Slovak Republic in the northeastern part of Hungary. On the Hungarian side, the Gömör Torna Karst Area contains 14 cave systems and nearly 240 smaller or larger caves.

907845.jpg

2005 Hungary 5000 Forint Aggtelek National Park Proof. Mint: Hungarian Mint Denomination: 5,000 Forint Quality: Proof Issue limit: 5,000 pcs. Alloy: 92.5% Sterling Silver Diameter: 38.61 mm Weight: 31.46 grams Design: Bohus Aron Aggtelek National Park is located on the border to the Slovak Republic in the northeastern part of Hungary. On the Hungarian side, the Gömör Torna Karst Area contains 14 cave systems and nearly 240 smaller or larger caves.

*that* is pretty cool-looking ... probably looks even better up close!

907846.jpg

2005 Hungary 5000 Forint Castle Diósgyör Proof. Mint: Hungarian Mint Denomination: 5,000 Forint Quality: Proof Issue limit: 4,000 pcs. Alloy: 92.5% Sterling Silver Diameter: 38.61 mm Weight: 31.46 grams Design: Eniko Szöllossy Castle Diósgyör is a medieval castle in the historical town of the same name, which is now part of the northern Hungarian city of Miskolc.

907847.jpg

2005 Czech Republic 200 Koruna Battle of Austerlitz 200 Years Proof. Mint: Czech Mint (Ceská Mincovna) Denomination: 200 Koruna Quality: Proof Issue limit: 8,500 pcs. Alloy: 90% Silver Diameter: 31 mm Weight: 13 grams Artist: Zbynk Fojtu

907848.jpg

2004 Czech Republic 200 Koruna Kralice Bible 425 Years Proof. .900 silver 31mm 13g Mintage 5,000 Celebrates the 425th anniversary of the printing of the original Kralice Bible, the first standard of literary Czech language. The Kralice Bible was the first Czech translation of the Bible from the original languages, prepared and edited by Unitas Fratrum (later known as the Moravian Church). It was printed during 1579-93 in six volumes by Zacharias Solin Slavkovsky.

I thought I would share this with everyone because I thought it was really cool. On the 2005 Czech Republic coins I got today the COA's are the best I've ever seen.

migt9v.jpg

migu94.jpg

I absolutely love the fact that they do complete foil representations of the coins themselves. I'm putting these up on the bulletin board.

I like those CoAs, too. One of these days, I will eventually be able to afford the better commems like you get, Tiffi. Only 8 more years of child support, and then maybe we will see.

Speaking of all the new mint packaging, etc., have you seen the new packaging the Bank of Moscow is doing? They are issuing "year set" folders for the Ancient Cities series, among others.

2002-cities-BUfolder.JPG

2003-cities-BUfolder.JPG

2004-cities-BUfolder.JPG

Also have one for the "Ministries" issues of 2002, and even the WWII series of 2 roubles in 2001.