CoinPeople.com

Do you collect commemoratives?

Tiffibunny

Wow, very nice acquisitions :-)  The two 500 forint coins (King Matthew) look just great! What is interesting, by the way, is that what is depicted on the coins spans across various countries nowadays. The statue of the king on a horse is in Cluj-Napoca, Romania. The inscription on the monument used to say "Matthew King of Hungary" but now it's only "King Matthew" - just like on the coin ...

http://harmen.de/ungarn/klausenburg/kla18.jpg

The side with the face value of the second coin is a little ho-hum, but the other side is gorgeous. The upper veduta shows Ofen or Buda (now the right bank part of central Budapest), the one below shows Vienna that Matthew conquered and where he resided during his last years ...

That 1000 forint coin is interesting because of the Parliament Building "silhouette". Other than that, well. (Still much better than your current avatar and title though ;) )

Christian

I did quite like these designs, most times on Forints the denom side is pretty plain, I do like when they get creative with the font though. Thanks again for the nice historical info.

And as for your last comment. ;) A little crude comedy is a good thing sometimes. :ninja:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I know, The Hungarian King Mathias (in Romanian language Matei Corvin) was half Romanian, half Hungarian... I saw the statue from your link very often this year, and in 3 of October I will see it again ( I will be there at a coin show in Cluj).

About Buda citadel... I have hundreds of photos there, even the photo from my profile is taken there... :-)

As I know, The Hungarian King Mathias (in Romanian language Matei Corvin) was half Romanian, half Hungarian... I saw the statue from your link very often this year, and in 3 of October I will see it again ( I will be there at a coin show in Cluj).

About Buda citadel... I have hundreds of photos there, even the photo from my profile is taken there... :-)

Could well be that Mathias was partly Romanian, and I suppose anyway that for him being king and ruler of a large empire was more important than the question of nationality. He even ruled over parts of what today is Germany. I remember that, on a trip to Budapest, we learned about a Mathias monument in Buda that is supposed to be fairly authentic, and I was quite surprised to hear that pretty much the same monument can be found in a town in Saxony. Good luck with your coin "hunting" in Cluj! :-)

Christian

• 1 month later...
This is my first colored coin.

Considering that it's a colored (ugh) coin, it is not all that bad. :ninja: Certainly better than the French "Fairy Tales" series for example.

(Said he who will soon buy his next Austrian niobium piece ...)

Christian

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm currently looking for really old commems but its almost impossible to find it cheap!

Pre or post WWII?

Past week, the National Bank of Romania issued a 5 Lei silver coin commemorating an actor, Birlic, but the mintage was 150 pieces. From the initial price of 120 Lei (40$), actual price exploded to 300Euros (360$). One good reason to not collecting commems, as long as I am not "in touch" with some bank presidents...